Homecoming week: Island City Luau

Kayla Langmaid/Winonan

The Winona State University Homecoming Committee has prepared a range of activities, including a Twinkie contest, to bring together students for a week of fun.

Tracy Rahim, associate director of student activities and leadership, said, “Homecoming is one of the most exciting times going around campus. You really feel like you’re a part of the Winona community.”

The committee picked the theme last fall as Island City Luau.

Winona State student Jacob Stanz has coordinated the Medallion Hunt, which has been taking place this week. There will be a $50 prize for the winner who finds the medallion by Friday.

Stanz said he started planning the clues in April and already knew where he would hide the medallion. Students can find the clues in the WSU Update email.

On Thursday, UPAC has organized hypnotist Erik Mina this year for a free show in Harriet Johnson Auditorium at 7:30 p.m.

On Friday, the club fair will take place from 11- 2 p.m.

Stanz also coordinated the Twinkie Slam contest Friday at 11:30 a.m. Eight women and eight men will compete by eating as many Twinkies as they can for bookstore gift certificates.

The pep fest activities will be at the gazebo.

The plans for Homecoming have not all been coming smoothly, though.

“The big challenge we have faced this year is relocating the festivities from our traditional spot outside Kryzsko,” Stanz said. Because of the construction project, the Club Fair has been shifted to the Gazebo. The challenge was to find a way to keep the Pep Fest proximal to the Club Fair to generate the most traffic, he said.

The Medallion Hunt winner, T-shirt contest winners, King and Queen and the Twinkie slam winners will be announced at the pep fest.  The cheer and dance teams will perform.

The parade on Broadway and Huff Street will kick off Saturday’s events at 10 a.m.

The parade will incorporate the luau theme, and floats with the most creativity will receive cash prizes.

The parade chairwoman, Samantha Hildebrandt, said she can’t wait to see what the clubs and organizations have put together for floats.

“I like the variety the parade offers . Every club is different,” she said.

The football game against Wayne State will kickoff at 2:30 p.m., and a women’s volleyball game follows at 6 p.m.

Contact Kayla at [email protected]