Grad Finale sale: seniors getting ready to go

Elizabeth Pulanco/Winonan

The Student Activity Center was flooded with Winona State University seniors on Nov. 8. Caps, gowns and class rings were sold to eager students ready for the next major transition in their life.

Senior Ashley Rogich was among those taking advantage of the deals at the event.

“It’s a good way to start moving on,” Rogich said.

Refreshments and snacks were available to anyone waiting for the crowd to die down or passing by with their items.

There were also door prizes given by Winona State’s Alumni Relations to help bring more people to the event.

Heather Kosik, Assistant Alumni Director, helped coordinate the event.

“It’s a helpful event for students, because it helps them get prepared for graduation,” she said.

The accumulation of their graduation items and even the thought of graduation made some students, like senior Claire Steffen, realize what was coming next for them in their life and how they would prepare for it.

“As you’re getting everything, real life just hits you,” Steffen said as she was waiting in line to purchase her things.

The students’ excitement was reflected with feelings of joy and pride from employees.

Deb Pelowski works in customer service at the bookstore. She has followed the academic journey of the students over four years, being there when they were making their first tours through the bookstore as freshmen and there now to hand them their graduation announcements as seniors.

“I enjoy seeing the students grow over the years and succeed,” Pelowski said. “I wished them luck on their tests, and now I am wishing them luck as they graduate.”

As the lines for the register got smaller, there were still people looking at diploma frames or rings or having conversations at tables decorated in Winona State purple.

The students were excited to get their items and continue with the next stage of their life, and the employees were there to help them with this new transition.

Contact Elizabeth at [email protected]