Sochi Winter Olympics: who’s watching?

Christian Sopkowiak/Winonan

Even though the Winter Olympics will be over Sunday, some Winona State University Students have not been able to watch much, if any, of the events.

Winona State sophomore Matt Eischens said, “I’ve been watching a little, but I’ve also had to hit the books pretty hard lately, so not as much as I’d like.”

Eischens is not a big fan of the Winter Olympics, as he believes the sports are not very entertaining and the timing of the events does not work well with a college student’s schedule.

The Sochi Olympics has suffered from both controversy and a lack of intrigue from some Winona State students. These students do not seem to have time to sit down and watch the events.

As well as Winona State students not having time, some events have been broadcasted at very early times in the United States.

Yet, some students have tried their best to watch the Olympics. One of those students is Winona State junior Jessica Reagan.

“I have been watching the Olympics whenever I get a chance. I love the spirit of the Olympics and hearing about all the different stories of the athletes and their journeys. It is a lot of fun to watch, and it can be stressful,” Reagan said.

To Reagan, the Olympics provide a chance to get to know the other countries and to simply appreciate the unison of the world’s various countries into one central location.

“I follow the medal count on Yahoo almost every hour to see how the United States is doing. I like to see how we are doing in comparison to others,” Reagan said.

Watching medal counts could be one of the things attracting most viewers to the Olympics.

At Winona State, Reagan’s excitement seems to be among the minority. Around campus, there are few events being held involving the Olympics and few students are watching the Olympics over the other national sports.

Eischens and Reagan said this is because of their busy schedules and because the summer Olympics are much more entertaining.

Reagan said the summer Olympics are more entertaining to her because of the variety of different sport events.

“For example, track, beach volleyball and swimming are fun to watch because they are so different whereas in winter, I think all the ice and snow can blur together,” Reagan said.

Because of this, the Winter Olympics do not seem as popular in the community as maybe they should be. But, Reagan still thinks the spirit of the Olympics should be appreciated.

“I love the spirit and the excitement behind it all. I also love watching the athletes do well, regardless of country. It’s cool to see people do well who have dedicated their lives to something,” Reagan said.