All-University Campaign kicks off Feb. 25

Jessica Bendzick/ Winonan

The All-University Campaign raises thousands of dollars annually while stressing the importance of giving back for Winona State University and its students. This year it will kick off Tuesday, Feb. 25, in East Hall.

Campaign committee member Cindy Jokela said, “The purpose of the event is to kick off the annual fundraising drive, give out information, show what our gifts make possible for our students and university community, and encourage participation.”

The All-University Campaign is Winona State’s annual charitable donation drive that provides immediate support for students. The campaign is primarily geared toward faculty, staff and retirees. Money raised is used for student scholarships, academic and cultural programs, campus projects and special initiatives across campus.

Jokela is also Winona State’s director of Annual Giving, which umbrellas the campaign. She said the Annual Giving programs raise funds for the Winona State University Foundation to provide immediate support for campus and students. Last year, the program raised more than $105,000 through the All-University Campaign spring drive.

Throughout the entire year, 455 current and retired Winona State employees gave almost $300,000 to the foundation to support students, departments and programs.

Winona State Foundation has impacted many. One person in particular is mass communication professor and grant recipient Tom Grier. He received both his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Winona State and has been employed here for more than 20 years.

Grier said, “The WSU Foundation support for quality education at WSU is excellent.”

Grier has been a strong supporter of the foundation. He said the program is great, but he also stressed the importance of giving back.

“I’ve received funds from the foundation but also give back because I think it’s important,” he said.

Many events will take place at the campaign. A short program will be held with President Olson.

Student scholarship recipients and faculty grant recipients will be announced. Also, there will be a large prize drawing, which will include donated prizes from Winona State departments and local Winona businesses. Some of the prizes include a gold parking permit, fitness center memberships, theater tickets, Warrior athletic wear, Winona State Universtiy Bookstore items, restaurant certificates and gift cards

This specific fundraising effort is geared toward faculty and staff members, both current and retired, but anyone can donate to the foundation at any time.