MCOM banquet: need a clue?

Jordan Gerard/Winonan

It’s a case of “Who-dun-it?” at this year’s Mass Communication banquet, which will be held on Saturday, April 26, at Westfield Golf Club at 5 p.m.

The banquet is an end-of-the-year event honoring mass communication students who receive awards and scholarships as well as a night for all department staff and students to enjoy. Awards range from faculty scholarships to club awards and a few national awards.

Advertising senior Madison Delamarter, president of the AdFed club, has been overseeing the planning of the event since January.

She said, “It’s a fun night because you get to dress up and interact or network with older mass comm students.”
Delamarter, along with four other AdFed club members, two department staff advisers and Public Relations Student Society of America members are planning every detail of the banquet from posters to decorations.

This year’s theme is based on the popular board game “Clue.”

As part of the theme, mass communication professors dressed-up as Clue characters for the banquet’s posters.

Students are encouraged to guess which professors represent which characters in the poster. The answer will be revealed at the banquet.

“The theme is more interactive with the students this year,” Delamarter said. “We’re hoping that it will encourage more students to attend.”

In past years, approximately 70-80 students have attended. This year the goal is to get 100 students in attendance.

As project manager, Delamarter’s job is to make sure everything and everyone is on task. She is also planning the entire timeline until the day of the banquet, including fundraising and publishing posters, tickets and invitations.

Professor Tanya Ryan and Phelps Hall office manager Sheila Rinn are helping the students. This will be Ryan’s sixth year and Rinn’s 14th year with the banquet.

“We let the students take control, but we help them negotiate prices and venues for the event,” Ryan said. “It’s a great resume builder for students.”

“I love to plan events,” Delamarter said. “There are not many opportunities to design an entire banquet.”

The banquet is open for anyone to attend. Younger mass communication students are encouraged to go. Attendees of the banquet can also bring guests, friends and dates.

“Anyone is welcome,” Ryan said. “It’s not just for seniors.”

The ticket prices are estimated to be around $15.

In addition to presenting scholarships and awards, the Runner Up Comedy Troupe and Winona State University Jazz Band will be performing.

“It’s a good time and good fun,” Ryan said.