Climate Summit to inspire students

Jessica Bendzick/Winonan

Trees, sustainability and climate issues will be discussed at this year’s Climate Summit event in April.

This year’s summit, which highlights trees specifically, will be held on April 10-12. Throughout the three-day event, there will be numerous presentations, events, posters and exhibits raising awareness about local environmental issues while teaching students and community members how they can take action.

Global studies upperclassmen have been designing the summit all semester and are finalizing the last details before its debut in April.

Winona State global studies professor Linda D’Amico said, “Our purpose is to demonstrate sustainable activities from interdisciplinary and cross-cultural perspectives in order to show and challenge human resiliency and creativity.”

On Thursday, a concert of local bands and a silent auction will be held in the Smaug. On Friday, there will be a tree-building competition in which students or clubs are asked to build a three- to six-foot tree made entirely of recycled material. The top two winners will be awarded bookstore gift certificates. Lastly, the summit will host a dinner on Saturday in the Alumni house where attendees can taste foods produced locally and sustainably.

One of the students helping to design the summit is Jay Nelson. He said, “This year we have two main goals for Climate Summit. The first being to inform all participants of the importance of trees for the environment.”

They also hope to promote the importance of community participation and civic engagement.

“I hope that students walk away from the summit with the sense that they can actually make a difference in their communities,” Nelson said.

This is Nelson’s first year helping to organize the summit. His focus has been on planning the concert and silent auction on Thursday night. The concert lineup will include local artists such as Jason William and Isaac Sammis, Tanner Brethorst, and Gravy Train. The silent auction will feature some items from around the world, including Ecuador.

Nelson stressed the importance of student participation.

“People who are passionate about the environment or sustainability will have the opportunity to learn more about local environmental issues and how they can become involved,” he said.

The summit is open to the public. Winona State clubs and organizations are highly encouraged to attend and participate. For those interested in the tree-building contest, email [email protected] by April 3.