National China Town Hall brings China to Winona State

15585150772_5c8006a624_k
International students Tianyang Qi and Linxiao Zhao give a presentation on China and their hometowns, Tianjin and Chongqing. Photo Credit: Kelsey Cherwinka

Jordan Gerard/ Winonan

Former President Jimmy Carter was the speaker at this year’s national China Town Hall, where students and faculty discussed international education between China and the U.S. at its eighth event on Thursday, Oct. 16.

The discussion was part of a national event, and Winona State University was one of four institutions in Minnesota to have a venue for students, faculty and community members to listen and participate.

The audience of 25 people in the Purple Rooms in Kryzsko Commons were able to listen to the former president’s speech live via webcast.

President Carter spoke about his history with U.S.-China relations and said China and America were both benefitting from exchange students.

The local speaker was Judy Polumbaum, a professor from the University of Iowa school of journalism and mass communication. She spoke about the increase and benefit of Chinese students coming to America to study.

Polumbaum said,“It’s a good opportunity for faculty and students. Five million students around the world are studying outside of their home country. One in six is from China.”

A few audience members wondered why more American students do not travel to China to study. Polumbaum said the reason for this could be a language barrier or financial pressure.

Polumbaum spent three years in China teaching journalism and has made subsequent trips there in recent years. She also worked for China Daily and said it has improved since its establishment in 1981.

She said her purpose in teaching journalism in China was for Chinese students to “learn the western style of reporting so that they can do better in writing about China.”

Kemale Pinar, the director of international services, said the event provided a platform for Chinese and Americans to talk about issues in international relations with China.

“By bringing it to students, faculty, staff and the community, we are trying to make them aware of these issues,” Pinar said.

Two students from China, Tianyang Qi and Linxiao Zhao, provided audience members a brief overview of China including language, historical sites and cuisine.

Pinar said the Chinese people were very curious about the world after the Chinese government opened its doors after being closed for many years, and this was probably a reason for the large number of Chinese students studying in America.

She also said the American education system is recognized as a “top-notch system.”

“China has over a billion people, so the competition is intense for anything,” Pinar said. “Having an American education gives them an advantage.”

Pinar said students get the experience they need because of the exchange agreements between the Chinese institutions and Winona State, and these institutions are happy to send their students here.

Pinar continued and said cost effectiveness and safety of Winona was also a contributing factor.

“One student told me they liked Winona because it’s in the heart of America, and it was like experiencing the real American lifestyle,” Pinar said. “We hope to increase the number of degree-seeking students and encourage diversity among the programs.”