Former WSU professor caught with child pornography, charged six years later

Jordan Gerard/ Winonan

University officials recently learned the extent of criminal charges against a former Winona State University physics professor, Edward Roberts, who has now been charged with possession of child pornography on his university issued computer.

Provost Patricia Rogers said former professor Roberts took his computer into Tech Support for regular maintenance in 2008.

Technicians found suspicious files on his computer and reported it to university and local authorities, as following proper procedure under the Minnesota State College and Universities (MnSCU) Policy 5.22.

Policy 5.22 makes sure students, staff and faculty appropriately use their technologies given to them, Rogers said.

Winona State President Scott Olson sent out an all-university email with information regarding Roberts of being charged with child pornography.

Roberts was a fixed-term physics professor, meaning his contract was nearly finished at the time of the file discovery, Rogers said.

The case was not made known to the public immediately after the discovery, because it was an investigation. There was no danger to the community, Rogers said.

Rogers said, “Policies are critical for making sure we have appropriate use of our technologies. Anything of this nature is not acceptable to our university community. We’re here for educational purposes.”

“There was no plan to renew his contract,” Rogers said.

Roberts and Tech Support could not be reached for comment about their reactions.

“We rely on the professionalism of the staff and students to follow MnSCU policy,” Rogers said. “I commend the IT department for following policies. It was the correct way to protect our students and staff.”