Rock climbing wall now open in Wabasha Hall

Samantha Stetzer/ Winonan

Winona State University recently scaled to new heights with their installation of one of the biggest rock climbing walls in the Midwest, according to the University.

The new facility has a 30-foot climbing wall with 32 top ropes. 14-foot boulders also feature top outs and crash pads.

Trained student staff will also be on hand to train and teach climbers how to properly use equipment and how to stay safe.

The university plans to utilize the wall in coursework, specifically within the physical education and sport science and recreation tourism and therapeutic recreation programs, but it is also available for recreational use within the community through programs and open climbing hours.

Local groups, events and tourists are welcome to use the facility. The rock wall will also be open for K-12 students and educators in the area.

Birthday parties, corporate events and club activities are just a few events the rock climbing wall is open to.

Sophomore biology student Karisa Hanson said the installment of the rock wall boosts the advantages of Winona State.

“It kind of adds to the experience,” Hanson said. “To have one of the biggest walls in the midwest adds to the different options already available at Winona State.”

Hanson said the wall would also being “really cool” to try out.