Wellness Wednesday presents “7 Habits of Highly Successful Students”

Spencer Treu presents “7 Habits of Highly Successful Students” at the IWC for the first Wellness Wednesday. (Photo by Kelsey Cherwinka)

Michaela Gaffke/Winonan

The first Wellness Wednesday of the year kicked off at 3 p.m. in the Integrated Wellness Center, featuring “7 Habits of Highly Successful Students,” presented by Spencer Treu, the president of Health and Wellness Advocates.

Wellness Wednesday is a weekly event on campus, and offers a range of presentations that help students become healthier in many aspects of their lives.

Treu started by speaking about the benefits of being proactive, and how students should take responsibility, avoid blaming others and consciously choose their actions, attitudes and moods. He told a story about how he studied hard and had the correct answer for a professor, but the professor claimed a device must have been used to find the answer. He said it could have gotten to his head, but he did not let it.

Treu spoke of several important habits: begin with the end in mind, don’t take life day-to-day and give yourself a deadline. He gave an example of how giving yourself a deadline is important by describing a calendar he keeps in his room, which details his daily goals as well as his semester goals. He puts an orange ‘X’ on the calendar each time he achieves a goal so he can see his progress.

Treu said other good habits are to avoid procrastination, manage your time well and learn to say no. Other habits he outlined were trying to see other’s viewpoints, listening to other’s ideas and feelings, being confident in voicing your opinion and being sure to make eye contact.

Nicole Klein, Health & Wellness Promotion graduate assistant, was also present for the event.

“Set a deadline before the real deadline,” she advised for procrastinators.

Another piece of advice she gave was to make time for self-care, which for Klein includes making time for her yoga, working out and interacting with friends and family.

“It’s easy to get burned out,” Klein said.

Klein said all of the Wellness Wednesday presentations are unique, and she wishes more students would attend each week.

The next Wellness Wednesday topic will be “Meatless on Mondays,” and will be presented in the IWC at 3 p.m. on Sept. 2.