Inside scoop: new residence halls

by Karin Chandler/Winonan

Approximately a decade of planning provided upperclassmen in New Center West and Kirkland Hall with a more relaxed environment. They contain spacious rooms and a professional look, yet some issues remain unresolved, such as temperamental drains, cheap paint and windows that open about three inches.

Sarah Wilson, hall director for New Center West and Kirkland Hall, said these sorts of problems are unavoidable.

“With every new building, there’s going to be quirks— just small things. Since these residential halls were built over several seasons, there are some things that can’t be controlled,” she said.

The two almost identical residence halls opened in the fall of 2010 for housing students with sophomore status or higher. The construction of the residence halls took several seasons to complete. Some of the problems, particularly a mouse problem, resulted from the changing weather.

“We did what we could to resolve the issue. The general maintenance workers have mouse traps, and exterminators are contacted,” Wilson said.

In addition, some residents complain that the showers’ water pressure is still temperamental. Mindy Fan, a student living in New Center, said that the water pressure in her bathroom was addressed, but still hasn’t been fixed.

New Center West and Kirkland Hall are a more expensive on-campus option. The price range for regular residence halls is $2,929.00 to $4,241.50, whereas the suites are $3,902.00 to $4,624.00 per semester with meal plans. Both types of residence halls include the same facilities and utilities, but the new halls include air conditioning. The higher price of the new halls serves to offset the construction cost, as well.

Students find the suite style worth the extra cost and said it is a more relaxed environment.

Fan said, “We have a nice lounge and we can get together and talk. The suite style gives more opportunities to interact with other roommates.”

“I think sometimes students are hesitant because of the pricing, but I think it’s well worth it,” Wilson said. “They have a very relaxed atmosphere. There’s more private space for students, yet they are still able to learn how to live with people and build relationships.”

When students compared New Center West and Kirkland Hall to other residential halls, they enjoyed the newer materials in the buildings. There are spacious study spaces, kitchens, laundry facilities, and the new buildings have a clean and quiet atmosphere.

Kjelsey De Zeeuw, a student living in Kirkland Hall, said, “I like the building a lot. I like having three roommates and each having our own room.”

Students also enjoy the amount of space they receive compared to the older residence halls. Each suite has its own bathroom, separate bedrooms, and a space for congregating. Students can choose to get a suite with either two or four bedrooms, each housing a total of four people.

“I like not having to share a bathroom with a whole floor,” Rebecca Rehm, a student, said. “It’s a lot bigger than I thought, especially the closet space.”

New Center West features conference rooms that are available for student, as well as academic department, use. If one room wants to be used for department versus student use, students come first, Wilson said.

Other residence halls, such as Prentiss-Lucas Hall, have game areas, but the new residence halls do not. The main reason for omitting a game room is to maintain a respectful environment within the facilities, Wilson said. Staff didn’t want to put a game room next to bedrooms because of the noise.

The new buildings were not named right away, receiving the generic names New Hall and New Center. New Hall East was officially renamed Kirkland Hall last spring in memory of Melvin and Lois Kirkland. The Kirklands, alumni of Winona State University, dedicated their estate to the university.

On Sept. 14, there will be a dedication ceremony at Kirkland Hall at 12:30 p.m. open to all.

Contact Karin at [email protected]