“Run for the WELL of it” during Family Weekend

Marcie Ratliff/Winonan

The Winona State University Health and Wellness Advocates Club is hosting the second annual Run for the WELL of it 5k race during Family Weekend Sept. 15.

Last year the race, a fundraiser for the club, had around 180 participants, including students, parents, faculty and other community members. Proceeds went to the club’s health promotions, Erica Thibodeaux, health and wellness promotion coordinator, said.

“We wanted something fun, and sort of to engage families,to connect them to something here on campus,” Thibodeaux said. She said the race highlights the social, physical and environmental dimensions of wellness, as part of Winona State’s holistic approach to well-being.

The Health and Wellness Advocates Club is present on campus as a health promotional group. Advocates, who have to apply to join the club, are responsible to spend two hours a week in the WELL, located in Integrated Wellness Complex Room 138. They host wellness campaigns throughout the year, such as distributing “get well” kits.

“The fundraiser was basically to give the advocates resources to promote wellness across the campus and community,” Thibodeaux said.

Last year, for example, the advocates promoted Winona State’s Registered Dietician and hosted a condom bingo night, among other events. This year, advocates facilitated alcohol education classes during new student orientation week.

The 5k race will take place at 8:30 a.m. at Lake Lodge on East Lake Winona. A T-shirt is included in the registration fee, which is $20, and registration forms can be found at http://www.winona.edu/ healthservices/advocates.asp.

Check-in will begin at 7:30 a.m. The race has been primarily advertised on campus, but it is open to any participants.

“I hope a lot of people want to do [the race],” Alicia Alverson, club secretary, said. “It’s good to promote our club more, and get people interested in joining.”

Students who join the club receive training so they can serve as certified peer educators. They can present on topics in residence halls, clubs and community events through connections like Livewell Winona, Thibodeaux said. Several advocates also serve on various campus committees.

“They have a passion about wellness and reaching students,” Thibodeaux said.

Alverson joined the club her freshman year. Now a junior, Alverson said she enjoys the different activities the club does on campus, depending on the time of year. Regarding the club’s time commitment, Alverson said, “It’s doable.”

Students interested in joining the Health and Wellness Advocates club can talk to any of the board members or find information on the advocates’ webpage.

Contact Marcie at [email protected]