Massage therapy offered at IWC

Kali Campbell is this year’s massage therapist.
Elisenda XifraReverter/Winonan

Julia Sand/Winonan

Winona State University once again will offer Massage Therapy for all students, staff, faculty and off-campus friends and family.

Started nearly nine years ago, Jeff Reinardy, Winona State’s Director of Strength and Fitness, teamed up with Southeast Technical college’s Massage Therapy Program to offer students and Winona residents a massage therapy opportunity.

“Generally what we do is we ask if [Southeast Tech] has any students who are usually in the second year of the program, who normally need practicum hours,” said Reinardy.

Students, staff and faculty can find 30-minute massage certificates in the bookstore for ten dollars. If students want an hour massage, they can do so by purchasing two 30-minute certificates, explained Reinardy.

“It’s a very good price; all we do is try to cover our basic costs,” said Reinardy.

After a student has purchased a certificate, her or she can set up an appointment at the front office of the Integrated Wellness Complex.

On the day of massage, patients can expect the appointment to run about an hour due to set up and paper work.

“We make sure they get a full 30 minutes of the massage itself,” said Reinardy.

Massages are not just for Winona State students, staff, and faculty. Student’s friends, someone from off-campus, or a student can even purchase a certificate for a family member, explained Reinardy.

The feedback and outcome of this program have been very promising and positive.

Reinardy said last year Winona State had to increase the number of therapists in order to keep up with the usual 10 appointment “slots” per week.

Taking advantage of this opportunity himself, Reinardy said he could “find no openings” last year.

Students had already been requesting the program before school had even began, so this year is predicted to remain successful.

Kali Campbell, Southeast Technical College second year- student, is this year’s massage therapist.

Campbell, who will be graduating this spring, has already had three appointments in the first two days the program opened.

“I think [this year] will go pretty well. It’s a really fun environment to work it, there is always so much going on,” said Campbell.

Of the three massages she has done, two have already made mention of coming back for another massage, explained Campbell.

Becca Lanners, sophomore at Winona State, says she paid about $50 for her last massage, and thinks the ones here at school are great.

“I’ve never gotten one, but I think it’s a great idea. I would definitely look into it,” said Lanners.

While massage therapy can help with relaxation, shoulder or back aches, and even headaches, Reinardy says the Massage Therapy that Winona State offers is just a nice opportunity.

Helping Winona State students, staff, faculty, residents, and many more, and Southeast Technical students to gain experience, this program “has been very beneficial for all parties involved” said Reinardy.

“It has been very successful; Southeast Tech. has been very happy with their components and we have been extraordinarily happy with ours. It’s a perfect combination,” said Reinardy.

Campbell is open for appointments Monday 3-7 p.m., Tuesday 5-7 p.m., and Thursday 3-7 p.m.

Contact Julia at [email protected]