Women’s soccer scores a season high

Kendahl Schlueter

Members of the Winona State soccer team gather for a group huddle at a game against Upper Iowa on Thursday, Sept. 9. The team played two games this week, winning 4-0 against Wayne State College on Friday.

Sydney Mohr, Features Editor

Winona State University women’s soccer played last weekend with one win and one loss on their record. Their first match of the weekend was Friday, Sept. 22 against Wayne State College at home, and their second match was away on Sunday, Sept. 24 at Augustana University in Sioux Falls, SD. The Warriors started their weekend with a 4-0 win over Wayne State, and ended with a 0-1 loss to Augustana.

The win on Friday was a season high, ranking as one of the highest scoring game of the season, despite only shooting for the goal 16 times, compared to a tied game against Upper Iowa University with 21 shots and no goals.

Junior midfielder Abby Bohanski opened the game with a tic-tac-toe goal at the 20th minute, assisted by senior Mikaella Sabinash and sophomore Courtney Wiencek. Sophomore Alyssa Reynolds also added to the board before the first half of the game ended with a close shot right in front of the Wayne State goalie.

During the second half, Wiencek joined the scoring party with the second goal of the season. Junior Darian Molter almost had a goal of her own, but it was called off by officials. The final goal of the game was completed by Reynolds right before time ended past Wayne State.

Friday night was an intense game for the Warriors, with 24 shots in total and 16 shots on goal. Senior Rachel Oleson managed to stop all 10 shots thrown on her from Wayne State, tacking in the third win of the season for her and the rest of the Warriors.

“We came out strong and had high pressure and high intensity right away.  We set the pace of the game and Wayne State University never could adjust to our style of soccer,” Bohanski said. “We controlled the entire match and the results on the scoreboard showed it.”

Sunday’s game took a different pace for the Warriors in Sioux Falls against the Augustana University Vikings. The women went through a scoreless first half with a combined 13 shots on goals for both teams, seven by Winona and six by Augustana. In the minute 85 of the game, Oleson missed a shot on the goal by the Vikings from the 6-yard box, leaving the score at 0-1.

The best chance the Warriors were given at scoring happened in minute 32, with a shot from Reynolds. The ball bounced off the goalpost to Bohanski, who had two different shots blocked by the Augustana goalie. The Warriors had 12 shots in total, with only three on goal. Oleson managed nine saves, but the missed shot contributed to the fourth loss of the season, with three wins and a tie as well.

“As a team, we came out and controlled the game against Augustana.  The first half was a tight battle, and we had more shots but none of them fell for us,” Bohanski said. “We brought energy and high pressure to them, and overall had a great game, but Augustana was lucky enough to have one ball hit the back of the net.”

Winona State soccer will face off against the University of Minnesota Duluth on Friday, Sept. 29 at 7 p.m. at Maxwell Field.