Women’s cross country takes third place

Womens cross country takes third place

Jessica Peterson, Sports Reporter

The Winona State University men’s and women’s cross country teams ran at the Blugold Invitational meet in Colfax, Wisc. on Friday, Sept. 29, hosted by the University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire.

The women’s cross country team ran a 6k race and scored third out of 15 teams, with a combined time of 1:54:18. The first runner across the finish line was senior Raissa Hansen, scoring third place with a time of 22:13.5, averaging 5:57.5 minutes per mile and shaving nearly 30 seconds off her previous time. The next runner in for Winona State was sophomore Anna Rogahn, scoring 19th place with a time of 22:48.2, averaging 6:06.8 minutes per mile.

The third Winona State runner was sophomore Nikki Staffen, scoring 23rd place with a time of 22:53.6, averaging 6:08.2 minutes per mile. Coming in fourth for the Warriors was senior McKenzie Carper, scoring 34th place with a time of 23:09.5, averaging 6:12.5 minutes per mile.

Rounding out the top five for the women was junior Hannah Lewis, running in her first meet of the year. Lewis scored 38th place overall with a time of 23:13.4, averaging 6:13.6 minutes per mile. The race had a total of 238 finishers.

The men’s cross country team ran an 8k race and scored tenth out of 13 teams total, with a combined time of 2:13:39.

The first runner to cross the finish line for the men was senior Charles Schauer, scoring 35th place with a time of 26:08.2, averaging 5:15.5 minutes per mile. Next to finish the race was first-year Kyle Turba, who took 52nd place with a time of 26:29.3, averaging 5:19.8 minutes per mile. Turba succeeded in shaving over a minute off his previous 8k time.

In 68th place was senior Reed Parent, the third to cross the finish line for Winona State with a time of 26:44.6, averaging 5:22.8 per mile. Coming in fourth for the Warriors was first-year Cole Cohorst, taking 93rd place with a time of 27:02.7, averaging 5:26.5 minutes per mile. Both Parent and Cohorst shaved over 40 seconds off of their previous 8k times.

Rounding out the top five for the men’s team was first-year Ross Stevensen, coming in at 103rd place with a time of 27:13.9, averaging 5:28.7 minutes per mile. The race had a total number of 257 finishers.

The men’s and women’s cross country teams have run in three races so far this season. Their next meet is the Lewis Conference Crossover meet, held in Romeoville, Illi