Women’s soccer ends season with double loss


Kendahl Schlueter

First-year Melissa Greco of Winona State dribbles the ball in the first half during a game against Upper Iowa earlier this season.

Sydney Mohr, Features Editor

The Winona State University women’s soccer team fought for a win over the weekend, but ultimately ended up with two losses to finish up the regular season. The women’s soccer team played at the Altra Federal Credit Union Stadium against Concordia University-St. Paul on Friday, Oct. 27 at 6 p.m., and took a loss of 1-0. The loss will prevent the team from going to the NSIC tournament this season.

Winona State took the field with energy, cheering and constantly moving around. Despite keeping control over the ball, there were only eight shots made, with three of those on goal which were saved.

Senior goalie Rachel Oleson was kept busy throughout the game, as Concordia made 14 shots throughout the game with eight shots on goal. Concordia scored the first and only goal of the game within the 12th minute of the game. From then on, it was a constant battle for the ball.

This is the first match in over a month that the team has had a no goal shutout. There was a chance to score late in the second half, but with heavy traffic in front of the net, the Warriors could not get a clear shot before the ball was saved by the Concordia goalie.

Winona State also held seven fouls during this game. Four yellow cards and three red cards were given to Winona State players. Because of their loss to Concordia-St. Paul, they moved lower in the conference rankings. As a result, the team will not be attending any of the NSIC tournament games.

  Their last game of the season was held in Mankato, Minnesota against Minnesota State University, Mankato on Sunday, Oct. 29 at 1 p.m. in Blakeslee Stadium. The final score was 0-4, a loss to end the Warrior’s season.

Oleson managed to keep up with the Mavericks, as there were 28 shots made by the Mavericks with 12 of those being on goal, while the Warriors had 10 shots made throughout the game with four of those being on goal. The Warriors battled through their last game of the season, keeping up with the constant fight for the ball and all of the shots being made by the Mavericks. There was a total of 15 fouls called throughout the game, eight for the Mavericks and seven for Winona. Winona only ended up with one yellow card throughout the entire game.

“It was a very difficult way to end the season,” junior midfielder Abby Bohanski said. “We were all disappointed about not making it into the playoffs, and we could have done better, but we managed to keep ourselves collected and together on the field and we stayed strong. There’s always a fresh start next year.”

The season may have closed for the Winona State soccer team with two losses, but Bohanski said the girls would keep high spirits and continue working together to try and play to the best of their abilities.