Best of 2017: a year in review

"Student survivors share sexual assault stories” told a powerful story about several sexual assault survivors and their experiences at Winona State. “Jenn, a survivor of sexual assault, revisits Lourdes Hall to step back in the room where she was raped her first year at Winona State.”

Archived Photo

Archived Photo

Winonan Staff

Archived Photo
“Tunnel construction prevents freezing water” told the story of two years worth of construction. Construction ended this fall when the pedestrian tunnels were completed just in time for Homecoming, but there were many delays and complications. For example when the lake wouldn’t freeze because of the tunnel project. “Construction workers face the cold last week in the effort towards finishing the pedestrian tunnels.”

Archived Photo
“Greek Life takes stand against hazing” told the story of Sigma Sigma Sigma, who during the annual Greek Week Lip Sync Battle took a stand on what they believe in. “Members of the Winona State sorority Sigma Sigma Sigma finish a performance for the lip sync battle during this semester’s Greek Week. After a post put on Facebook declaring one of the sororities on campus to be hazing their members, Sigma Sigma Sigma decided to show their stance on the matter on Wednesday, April 5 in Harriet Johnson Auditorium.

Archived Photo
“Dancescape 2017 in photo review” featured an image of students rehearsing one of the biggest performances of the year, Dancescape 2017. “left to right: Bailey Alleman, Taylor Sotrlie and Samantha Johnson dance to a piece called “Postremo Pacem,” choreographed by Andrea Wippich.

Archived Photo
“Club hopes to combat mental health stigma” told the story of Winona State librarian, Carol Daul-Elhindi, who lost her son, Solomon Elhindi, to suicide nearly two years ago. “Winona State librarian Carol Daul-Elhindi and her husband founded Solomon’s Song in her youngest son’s honor after he took his life in 2016. Solomon’s Song works to promote a healthy mind and body, celebrate diversity and work to stomp out the stigma surrounding mental illness. The foundation holds several awareness events and provides resources for those who need help.”

Archived Photo
“The desolation of the Smaug” told the story of the Smaug’s transition to what is currently called Zane’s. As one of the main hubs for student activity on campus, remodeling the Smaug was an adjustment for many students. “The entrance of the new food mart in Kryzsko Commons. The area, formally known as The Smaug, was renamed Zane’s.”

Archived Photo
“Winona State couples share love stories” featured various images of couples across campus, including one of Mass Communications professor Cindy Killion and her partner, Beth. “Left to right: Beth and Cindy Killion. The two met when Beth was teaching at Winona State as a replacement for a sabbatical in 1996, and she attended a new faculty orientation that Cindy was attending. Their mutual friend Colette Hyman, introduced them. Beth remembers Cindy was wearing a button that said “No one knows I’m a lesbian,” and thought it was funny. They became friends, were engaged one year later and had the first of two ceremonies – the first in 1998 was a “commitment ceremony,” when they could not legally marry; the second was in 2013 on Aug. 1, the first day when Minnesota allowed legal same-sex marriages.”

Archived Photo
“All Roads Lead Home: a story in photos” featured an image from the 2017 Homecoming football game. After winning this game, the Warriors became 8-0 for the season, which was their highest record in almost two decades. “Sophomore Jake Ballio a wide reciever for Winona State celebrates a touchdown with a teammate at Saturday, Oct. 21’s Homecoming game against Wayne State University in Altra Credit Federal Union Stadium. The Warriors won 42-19 that weekend, continuing their winning streak for the season.”

About the Photographers
Shannon Galliart, Photographer

Shannon Galliart works as a photographer for the Winonan. Before working for the Winonan, Galliart was an editor for the Falcon Flyer, the school newspaper of Whitnall High School in Greenfield, Wisconsin.

Galliart is currently in her second year at Winona State University, and is majoring in Sociology, and minoring in Ethnic Studies. She hopes to go into high school guidance counseling after her time at WSU.

Along with working at the Winonan, Galliart is also a member of SCJ and has a radio shift at 89.5 KQAL on Fridays from 7-10pm. When not involved in campus activities, Galliart enjoys listening to music, consuming an incredible (and probably unhealthy) amount of coffee, and watching vine compilations.

Morgan Reddekopp, News Reporter

Morgan Reddekopp works as online editor, news reporter and photographer for the Winonan. Before working at the Winonan, Reddekopp worked for two years as a reporter for the Eagan Independent, the school newspaper of Eagan High School in the Twin Cities. She also writes the Dog of the Week column.

Reddekopp is currently in her second year at Winona State University, and is majoring in Mass Communications – Creative Digital Media, and minoring in both Advertising and English: Creative Writing. Her dream job would be working as a photojournalist for National Geographic.

Along with working at the Winonan, Reddekopp also acts as the Vice President of the Society of Collegiate Journalists for Winona State University. Her hobbies include photography, painting and writing.