Gymnastics wins dual meet at home

Junior+Miranda+Saathoff+completes+a+routine+on+the+balance+beam+in+a+meets+against+the+University+of+Wisconsin+Stout+on+Tuesday%2C+Jan+9+in+McCowan+Gymnasium.++

Morgan Reddekopp

Junior Miranda Saathoff completes a routine on the balance beam in a meets against the University of Wisconsin Stout on Tuesday, Jan 9 in McCowan Gymnasium.

Sydney Mohr, Features Editor

Despite the season starting out a “little rough” for the opening practice of the year, according to sophomore gymnast Sunny Hasebe, Winona State University women’s gymnastics opened their season with a win against University of Wisconsin-Stout in McCown Gymnasium on Tuesday, Jan. 9.

“It’s been a little rough for us,” Hasebe said prior to the match, “but we are definitely doing better recently.”

Head Gymnastics Coach Becki Rolbiecki agreed, saying that she was optimistic about the start of the season.

“Our practices have been showing lots of promise and personal growth in our athletes,” Rolbiecki said. “We definitely have a lot of potential to do very well this season.”

Rolbiecki also noted that there are three Nationals Qualifiers on this year’s squad that are returning, including senior Eboni Jackson who was the National Floor champion last year. “The exposure to national competition is a very valuable tool in inspiring the whole team to get there this year.”

Bars and beam athlete Hasebe agreed with her coach’s words. “Our goal is to make it to Nationals this year, and I think we can pull it off,” Hasebe said.

The Winona State gymnasts are off to a great start in reaching their goal. Jackson took the meet by winning the all-around competition, beam and vault. She also placed second on bars and floor exercise.

Morgan Reddekopp
Katie Carling competes on the uneven parallel bars. The Warriors opened their regular season with a victory at home against the University of Wisconsin-Stout.

The Warriors started the meet out on vault, where Jackson’s score of 9.5 was among the top 12 competitors. Sophomore Alana Currin took fourth in vault with a score of 9.275. First-year Anna Hiller, and sophomores Kennedy Utz and Leah Messelt all tied for seventh with a score of 9.05.

Throughout the meet, there were many other close calls of Winona State athletes almost winning their events. Jackson narrowly missed first place on the uneven parallel bars with a score of 9.275, and again on her floor routine with a score of 9.525. The winning mark was 9.55. Jackson did manage to take the top score on beams with a 9.475.

Overall, the girls had high placement throughout the meet and managed to pull off a win for the Warriors. Rolbiecki says it helps that the girls work together as a supportive team.

“This year’s group of girls are very supportive and encouraging to each other. They all have a common goal of attempting to qualify as a team to Nationals,” Rolbiecki said. “They understand that each team member has to do their part to make that happen and that everyone has to count.”

She added that she hopes to see a lot of growth in the team as the season continues through the semester.

“I am excited to see what this team can bring,” Rolbiecki said.

Fresh off their victory, the Warriors took a tough hit at their meet on Saturday, Jan. 13 at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, placing fourth during their meet.

“The girls gave their all, it was just an off day for us,” Rolbiecki said. “They’ll keep practicing and we’ll give it our all next week.”

Winona State gymnastics will next compete at home for the “Smile On” Brooke Baures memorial meet on Friday, Jan. 19. The meet will take place in McCown gym at 6:30 p.m. against the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh.