Winona State raises cancer awareness

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winona State raises cancer awareness

Left to right: Alex Strelow, Eve Hlavka and Sydney Mohr promote Colleges Against Cancer at the Club Fair during orientation week.  As a subdivision of the American Cancer Society the club’s goal is to raise awareness and help fundraise for different events.

Left to right: Alex Strelow, Eve Hlavka and Sydney Mohr promote Colleges Against Cancer at the Club Fair during orientation week. As a subdivision of the American Cancer Society the club’s goal is to raise awareness and help fundraise for different events.

Contributed by Colleges Against Cancer

Contributed by Colleges Against Cancer

Contributed by Colleges Against Cancer

Morgan Reddekopp, features reporter

Winona State University’s Colleges Against Cancer club, a subdivision of the American Cancer Society, will be hosting two events in the upcoming week to raise cancer awareness.

The club plans to educate the community about where donations go and hope to bring community members together.

The first was a social event at Bub’s Bar Monday, Jan. 29, 5-7 p.m. Colleges Against Cancer Co-President Eve Hlavka says that this is a great opportunity for people to learn about the American Cancer Society.

“It is an event for community members to come and learn about the American Cancer Society and where the donor dollars are going and their mission,” Hlavka said. “It is also an opportunity to kick off Relay for Life. People can sign up and make teams.”

The second event is Coaches Vs. Cancer and it will be hosted at the Men’s Basketball game Friday, Feb. 2. Hlavka says that this will mainly be a fundraising event where the club will be passing around buckets for donations.

American Cancer Society’s Representative to the Winona State branch Garrett Stadsvold helps out Winona State’s College’s Against Cancer club.

“My position at American Cancer Society is a Community Development Manager. As a Community Development Manager, I oversee basically everything right outside of Rochester, MN, which is Red Wing, Dodge County, Wabasha County, Mower County, Fillmore County, Pine Island, and Winona County,” Stadsvold said. “So for Winona County, that includes Winona State University. I am involved with everything the Colleges Against Cancer group does to raise donor dollars for American Cancer Society. I help them with anything they need assistance with. An example of this could be supplies for an event they are creating, or simply helping them with community involvement activities or networking.”

According to Stadsvold, in 2018 there will be about 1.7 million new cancer cases diagnosed and 609,640 cancer deaths in the United States alone.

“Winona County is part of the North Region which does a great job at raising money,” Stadsvold said. “We would like as many students and community members to attend our social this Monday and as well our Coaches vs. Cancer event on Friday, Feb. 2. I will be at all of these events as well.”

About the Writer
Morgan Reddekopp, News Reporter

Morgan Reddekopp works as online editor, news reporter and photographer for the Winonan. Before working at the Winonan, Reddekopp worked for two years...