Gymnastics loses meet across the river

Gymnastics loses meet across the river

Sydney Mohr, Features Editor

Winona State University gymnastics took a loss this weekend at their away meet at University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, on Friday, Feb. 9 at 6:30 p.m. with a final score of 109.100 to 184.625. The Warriors took second in all four events in their meet. Senior Eboni Jackson did not compete in the meet due to injury, causing the team to lose their All-Around athlete.

Starting off on vault, sophomore Leah Messelt landed an average score of 9.375, but sophomore Alana Currin took the highest score on vault with an average of 9.4. The teammates crowded around the start and end of the mats, waiting to greet whoever rushed down the mat on vault.

The team then moved onto bars, starting with first-year Shelsea Zehr taking a score of 9.050. The highest score for the Warriors on bars was a 9.550 from first-year Anna Hiller. The girls tried to keep spirits high in between events, but it was an off night for the Warriors.

Hiller says she has enjoyed her first season of being on the team.

“I love being able to perform at a higher level,” Hiller said. “It makes me feel like I’ve really accomplished something within gymnastics. The team has been a huge support to me, and so has Coach Rolbiecki. I hope I am able to continue with this team for the rest of my college career.”

Head coach Beckie Rolbiecki shared the struggle of being at an away meet.

“It’s hard being at an away meet. You’re not quite used to the equipment, and it’s a new environment. The girls had an off weekend, but we’ll get back at it and practice through the week and get ready for our next meet,” Rolbiecki said. “Our goal is Nationals, and we’re going to have to work hard to get there. We can’t let one bad meet get us down.”

Sophomore Kelly Johnston started off on beam with a score of 9.500, and managed to snag the highest scoring routine for the event. The second highest scoring routine was Hiller with a 9.300.

“It’s been a great season,” sophomore Sunny Hasebe said. “All of the girls have been really close, and despite some of our losses, we try to push past it and make ourselves better, individually and as a team. We are always there to support each other.”

The last event the Warriors competed in was floor event, with sophomore Breanna Murray taking a 9.450 for the gymnastics team high for this meet. The second highest score was a 9.350 by senior Emily Woitchek.

The Warriors will return for their next competition at home this Thursday, Feb. 15 at 6:30 p.m. in McCown Gymnasium.