Middle school students “March 2 College”

Morgan Reddekopp

The Red Team shares their team cheer in East Hall during the “March 2 Campus” event held on Thursday, March 22 for fifth graders in the Winona area to tour Winona State’s campus and participate in activities that help teach about college experiences.

Dane Sorenson, News Reporter

To a lot of fifth graders, college seems like some sort of crazy unimaginable future. Thanks to the PACE advocacy group, that future is not so far out of reach. Fifth graders in the Winona area were given a tour of the Winona State University campus and also participated in activities that teach about the college experience.

The main purpose of the “March 2 College” event is to show students that college is a possibility for them. Shannon Leahy, student coordinator of PACE had this to say about what the event can do for students.

“This gives the students the opportunity to realize that college is possible for anybody, including them,” Leahy.

The events ranged from STEM activities to art and music. The activities were led by professors who instructed the students and told them about what they teach at the university.

One activity had students creating story quilts that represented their lives. The students also had the opportunity to learn about math with a “Solar Cooker” activity. This activity had them build solar powered ovens that they would cook s’mores.

Throughout a multitude of different station activities, the students learned about many of the basic skills and essential aspects to success in college.

Alexis Kubista, a junior elementary education major said that she enjoyed showing the fifth grades what college has to over them.

“I really enjoyed working with the fifth graders from Winona Middle School and showing them the different possibilities college has to offer,” Kubista said.

Along with the activities, the fifth graders toured the residence halls and campus buildings. A couple of fifth graders, Wyatt and Leo, talked about their experiences partway through the day. They mentioned that they learned a lot about teamwork and cooperation from their experience on campus, and they also mentioned that this event made college seem like much more of a real possibility for them and that they found it fun.

The event lasted from 9:20 a.m.-3 p.m. through five different stations, a residence hall tour, and multiple speakers including the student leader Leahy. Winona State hosted 102 fifth grade students from all throughout the Winona area middle schools.