Volleyball wins two, loses two in Indy

Lauren Lott, Sports Reporter

The Winona State Women’s Volleyball team finished 2-2 last weekend at the UIndy Invitational in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Friday , consisted of two matches against the University of Indianapolis and Colorado School of Mines.

The Warriors came out on top in the first match with a 3-1 win against the match host, the Greyhounds. Winona State had season highs in aces (nine) and blocks (12) against Indianapolis. Sophomore Megan Flom had a standout game with ten kills and seven blocks. 

Meanwhile, senior Sophie Wilker assisted in the victory with a career-high seven blocks.

The Warriors never trailed the Greyhounds in the three sets that they won.

After having a strong first match, Winona State played the nationally ranked Colorado School of Mines. The Orediggers started off with the upper hand in the first set, ending it with a win of 25-22.

Winona came back winning the second and third sets but were unable to continue the streak in the fourth. This led to their first five-set match of the season, where they ultimately fell short with a loss of 5-15.

Heading into the second day of the tournament, the Warriors faced Wheeling Jesuit University and Harding University.

The Warriors had a rough start losing 1-3 against Wheeling Jesuit, but came back with a win in the evening against Harding University.

Flom continued to play well and tied for the ninth most kills in program history, having 25 in the finale against Harding. She leads the team this season with 105 kills so far.

Setter Bre Maloney led the offense with a career-high 50 assists, while sophomore Becca Pagel dug a career-best 32 balls.

As a team, Winona had season-high stats in kills (67), digs (98), and they matched their stats in aces and blocks.

The Warriors will go into their first home game with a record of three wins and five losses.

Winona State starts off their conference action this week with a game against Minnesota State Mankato at 6 p.m. at home on Thursday, September 6, and on Saturday, they will go on the road for a 2 p.m. game against Concordia University, St. Paul.