Volleyball enters first losing streak in three years

Lauren Lott, Volleyball Reporter

Winona State University’s Women’s Volleyball had a busy week with matches on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday.

Starting Tuesday, Sept. 11 the Warriors hosted Upper Iowa University. Winona would go on to lose 1-3, putting them in their first three-game losing streak since 2015 and preventing them from getting their first conference win of the season.

The Warriors won the first set, but had their most hitting miscues of the season in the second set (30). They continued to have errors and struggled throughout the next two sets as well.

On Friday, Sept. 14, they faced No.7, Southwest Minnesota State University on the Mustang’s home court.

The Warriors were hoping to avoid a four-match lossing streak, and did, getting the upset win and sweeping the Mustangs 3-0, grabbing their first conference victory of the season and handing the Mustang’s their first conference loss.

Winona State committed their second-fewest attacking errors of the season with a hitting percentage of .214 compared to Mustang’s .100.

Sophomore Megan Flom and senior Taylor Goar led the offense with seven kills each.

Kate Masberg also made an impact with 3 aces, as well as Bre Maloney with two.

Coming off their sweep on Friday, the Warriors were unable to keep the momentum going and were swept 0-3 against Sioux Falls on Saturday.

The Warriors fought and pushed the home team to extra points in the first two sets, but it was not enough and the Cougars still came out on top.

Flom had a team-high of five denials at the net for Winona State along with six kills.

After this loss, Winona State falls to a 4-9 record, with 1-4 in conference competition.

The Warriors return to their home gym for two more conference matches against Augustana University Friday, Sept. 21 at 6 p.m., and Wayne State on Saturday, Sept. 22 at 4 p.m.