Soccer loses first conference game

Sydney Mohr, Features Editor

Winona State University took on their rival Minnesota State University-Mankato on Friday, Sept. 14 and, despite the effort to keep up the defense through all 90 minutes of the game, the Warriors fell short and lost their first conference game 3-1.

It did not take long for the Mavericks to spring into action. Within the sixth minute of the first period, Alesha Duccini of Mankato had scored the first goal of the game against Winona senior goalie Jourdan Valkner.

Following the first goal, there was a foul called on the Mavericks and two on the Warriors. Winona took two shots on goal by the 23rd minute by senior Abby Bohanski and sophomore Georgette Topalis, with one shooting wide and the other hitting the crossbar.

Meanwhile, Valkner was put to the test with six shots on goal during the first period, with two that were high. She managed to save all six of the following shots after Mankato’s first goal.

The defenses was tough for both teams as they battled head-to-head through the rest of the first period. Winona ended up with two offsides offenses and two more fouls.

Junior Alyssa Reynolds and sophomore Melissa Greco managed to get two shots on goal, but both were saved by Mankato goalie Alexa Rubane.

Both teams were in constant rotation of players to keep them from overheating and alert on their feet.

By the end of the first period, the Warriors were down against the Mavericks 1-0.

The second period started off strong for Winona with senior Addie Royer getting a shot on goal within the first 30 seconds, but was saved by Rabune.

By the 48th minute, the Mavericks had scored the second goal of the game. Following the goal, Mankato’s Morgan Cottew led in with a corner kick and Julia Zach had a header shot which went wide.

Mankato and Winona kept their defenses rotating, with the home team making five substitutions and the visiting Warriors with six between the 57th and 61st minutes.

Shortly after Winona’s last rotation, Molly Riley of Mankato scored the third goal of the game in the 62nd minute to bring the score up 3-0.

The Warriors continued to battle despite the deficit and kept a strong defense through the rest of the game, which finally paid off in the 67th minute when senior Chase Rehm gave Winona their only goal of the game. The team had mad other shots made throughout the second period, but none that made it through.

By the end of the game, the Warriors had made 12 shots, five of which were on goal, while the Mavericks had made 24 with 15 of those shots on goal. Valkner made 12 saves over Rubane’s four. Winona ended with four fouls to Mankato’s three.

Winona State also played in St. Paul, Minnesota on Sunday, Sept. 16 against Concordia University, but lost 1-0.

The Warriors will play two home matches this week, the first on Friday, Sept. 21 at 3 p.m. against University of Minnesota Crookston, followed by a game on Sunday, Sept. 23 at 1 p.m. against Bemidji State University.