Player profile: quarterback, Owen Burke

Player profile: quarterback, Owen Burke

Christopher Edwards, Sports Reporter

Of all sports, the quarterback in football is seen as the position with the most pressure.

A lot of the work put in is not always seen on the field and, for a team to be successful a good quarterback is needed to lead an offense.

Winona State is currently 2-2, where comes off losses to Upper Iowa University and Minnesota State-Mankato.

Sophomore quarterback Owen Burke is coming into his first year as a full-time starter for the Warriors.

He hails from Denver, Colorado, and got started playing football through his dad, who was his coach. Burke has been involved in the sport since he was a second grader.

Burke said he is inspired by current NFL quarterback and five-time Super Bowl champion, Tom Brady, and describes him as a “a good person to look at.”

As far as what brought him to Winona, he said the “town has a family feel.”

During his time as a Warrior last year, Burke has made three starts and went 3-0. He also passed for 300 yards and four touchdowns.

In addition to his work on the field, Burke was also a part of the 2017 NSIC All-Academic team, which is accomplishment given to student-athletes who have a cumulative GPA of 3.20 or better. An award that properly showcase those who not only put in the work with their sport, but with the classes they are involved in too.

Coming into this year as the starter, Burke has learned to create chemistry with his teammates by taking reps in practice.

He also added that putting work in during the summer and developing relationships with the team off the field has played a key part in team chemistry as they continue to grow as a cohesive unit.

He comes off a game against at Upper Iowa, where he had 282 yards passing and three touchdowns, and performance against Minnesota State-Mankato, where he threw for 257 yards and a touchdown.

In both games, the Warriors fell short, losing to the Peacocks 34-33, and being defeated by the No. 2 Mavericks, 31-21.

Burke will look to improve on his first two losses as a starter for Winona State by looking “to do the little things right and, take it play-by-play.”

In the red zone against Upper Iowa, the team scored twice in four trips.

Burke wants to better that and get points in each red zone opportunity.

From  film, Burke saw some overthrows he made, and he expects “to do his job” to get the victory this week.