Football suffers third loss of the season


Derek Dravis

Winona State kicker Paul Ortiz set for the opening kickoff against the University of Minnesota Duluth on Saturday, October 20 at Altra Credit Federal Union Stadium.

Christopher Edwards, Sports Reporter

The Winona State University football team fell to 5-3, after losing 37-17 to the University of Minnesota-Duluth on Saturday, Oct. 20.

The Warriors were coming off a three-game win streak before facing the undefeated No.5 ranked Bulldogs.

After forcing a punt on the Bulldogs opening drive, Winona State got the ball. On a third-and-eight, sophomore quarterback Owen Burke tossed the ball to sophomore running back Sam Santiago-Lloyd for a 25-yard catch and run. On the play, a personal foul penalty would cost the Warriors 15 yards, putting them at a first-and-25 on their own 46, instead of a first-and-10 at the Bulldogs 36.

After three unsuccessful plays for the offense, the team was forced to punt the ball.

Duluth drove down the field, with a big pass play of 41-yards before running for a 6-yard touchdown on second and goal. The Bulldogs tried a trick-play for the two-point conversion, but the Warriors were not fooled.

After a punt by Winona State, Duluth would attempt to drive down the field again but this time the Warriors defense this time would get a stop, forcing a turnover on downs.

The offense would quickly stumble though as on the next play the Warriors would fumble the ball and the Bulldogs would return it for touchdown, pushing their lead to 13-0 at the end of the first quarter.

On the following drive senior wide receiver Isaiah Frandsen would make a 42-yard grab to get the Warriors to the Bulldogs one. On second and goal, the Warriors would go into the wildcat formation, bringing in first-year receiver Dawson Davis in as quarterback. Davis’s pass would get tipped but senior tight end Greg Rooney would make the catch for a touchdown, cutting the deficit to six.

On the next Bulldog possession, they would have 13-play methodical drive, capped-off with a nine-yard touchdown catch.

Winona State’s next drive on offense would end in a punt and the Bulldogs would captialize again, getting a field goal and making the lead 23-7 at halftime.

The second half would start with a failed onside kick by the Bulldogs but Winona State could not get anything going on offense again.

After multiple punts by both teams, Winona State finally put together another drive. Santiago-Lloyd would get a 39-yards on screen play that would put the Warriors in Bulldog territory. Later on, the Warriors would convert on a fourth down run by Burke. The drive would end in a field goal making the score 23-10.

The Bulldogs would score on a one-yard run to start the fourth, though Winona State would respond with a 15-yard touchdown catch by Isaiah Frandsen.

The Bulldogs led 30-17 and extended it after a blocked Winona State punt lead to a one-yard touchdown run.

The final score would be 37-17.

One of the lone bright for Winona State was Frandsen’s 108 yards and a touchdown, as they struggled getting the run and pass going.

Next week, the Warriors will stay home and look to get back on track against Southwest Minnesota State University. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m on Saturday, Oct. 28.