Warriors get seventh win of the season

Sophomore+wide+receiver+Ethan+Wittenburg+moves+to+block+players+from+Augustana+University+during+a+game+on+Saturday%2C+November+3+where+the+Warriors+won+34-20+against+the+Vikings.++
Sophomore wide receiver Ethan Wittenburg moves to block players from Augustana University during a game on Saturday, November 3 where the Warriors won 34-20 against the Vikings.

Derek Dravis

Derek Dravis

Christopher Edwards, Sports Reporter

The Winona State University football team improved to 7-3, after defeating Augustana University 34-20.

The game was a back and forth affair, where most of the scoring took place in the second half.

The Warriors won the toss and decided to receive. That proved to be a good decision as senior receiver Elliot Cox returned the opening kickoff to the house for a touchdown to start the game 7-0.

Winona State’s defense would hold forcing a punt. After a catch 11-yard catch by junior receiver Connor Schulz for a first down, the offense would not convert on third down forcing punt. On the offensive next drive, sophomore quarterback Owen Burke would complete a pass to junior Alonzo Alexander who fumbled the ball, with Augustana recovering.

Augustana would take over deep in Winona State’s territory, and on the next play the Vikings would complete a 21-yard pass to give them a fist-and goal again. The Warriors captialized keeping them out of the end zone and forcing a field goal, making the score 7-3.

Later on in the second quarter, the Vikings would drive into the red zone again, however sophomore defensive back Isaiah Hall would bring their drive to a halt with an interception.

The Vikings would miss a kick towards the end of the first half leaving the score at 7-3 heading to halftime.

Augustana would start the half on offense. The Warrior defense snagged another turnover,, as Hall got his second interception and returned it in to Augustana territory. Winona State would capitalize with field goal pushing the lead to 10-3.

On the following drive, the Vikings would go down the field again, but were held to another field goal cutting the lead to 10-6.

The Warriors could not respond, punting the ball back to the Vikings where they kept the momentum, getting a touchdown on the drive on a 11-yard pass. They would take the 13-10 lead.

Trailing for the first time all day, Winona State’s offense looked to get something going in the start of the fourth quarter. After two straight catches for first downs by Schulz, the Warriors would be able to convert on third down, but were held to a field goal, tying the game at 13.

On defense the Warriors would continue to dominate, allowing no yards then blocking the punt giving the Warriors a first-and-goal at the two. Burke would find senior receiver Isaiah Frandsen for touchdown to take the 20-13 lead.

This was followed by another a big play by the Warrior defense when Alexander would get a pick-six to extend the lead.

The Vikings would get another touchdown, but the Warriors would close the game after a 33-yard rushing touchdown by senior running back Eric Birth to make the final score 34-20.

Winona State struggled on offense, getting outgained by over 200 yards on offense, but the defense and special teams picked up the slack by coming up with big plays that lead to points to give them the victory.

Next week, the Warriors return home for senior day where they take on Concordia University. Kickoff will be 1 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 11.

About the Contributors
Christopher Edwards, Sports Reporter

Christopher Edwards covers football for the Winonan. He is a Junior with a major in journalism. This is Edwards' first year at Winona, as he recently transferred...

Derek Dravis, Photographer

Derek Dravis works as a photographer for the Winonan. Before working at the Winonan, Dravis worked as a photographer for his high school athletic teams....