Staffen sets career-best time in Aberdeen

Barry Allen, Sports Reporter

The Winona State University cross country teams competed in the NSIC Championships on Saturday in Aberdeen, South Dakota at Lee Park Golf Course.

First-year Josh Jarpey and senior Nikki Staffen led the way while finishing first for the each of their teams. There was a total of 15 teams in the women’s competition and 12 in the men’s.

Staffen paced the Warrior women, finishing 17th overall with a career-best time of 22:06.10, cutting off 12 seconds from her previous career-best time while earning second team All-Conference honors. The second team All-Conference award was the first ever award for her in the NSIC Championships.

Next up for the Warrior women was junior Anna Rogahn, who finished 37th overall with a time of 23:00.70. Another Winona State runner that saw a top-50 finish in the women’s race was first-year Allison Hendrickson (23:28.70), placing 48th.

A trio of Warrior women set new personal-best times at the postseason meet hosted by Northern State. Sophomores Katie Lorenz and Becca Richtman (23:54.80), and first-year Brittany Quiring (24:14.10) all finished inside the top-100 in a pool of 140 runners in the 6k race.

In the men’s 8k race, first-year Josh Jarpey finished 39th overall and first for the Warriors with a new personal-best time of 25:50.50. Senior Jesse Frank finished close behind with a time of 26:08.70, which placed him 51st. There were plenty of personal and seasonal-best times for the Warrior men, as sophomore Cole Cohorst (26:19.80) ran a season-best time and placed 57th overall, and Ross Stevensen (26:31.80) recorded a new personal-best time. Sophomore Kyle Turba recorded his best time of the season with a 26:58.80. Junior brothers Isaiah (27:14.40) and Micah Warning (27:30.0) both added new personal-best times while finishing inside the top-100 runners in a pool of 121.

The Winona State cross country teams have another postseason race scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 17. The NCAA Central Region Championships are in Joplin, Missouri and three seniors (Frank, Sabourim, Staffen) are slated to run their last race as Warriors.