Senior Mason Domask reflects on his time as a Warrior

Senior%2C+Mason+Domask+guards+a+player+from+Upper+Iowas+Unviersity+during+Saturday%27s+game+at+McCown+Gymnasium%2C+where+the+Warriors+were+victorious+with+a+final+score+of+72-50.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior, Mason Domask guards a player from Upper Iowas Unviersity during Saturday's game at McCown Gymnasium, where the Warriors were victorious with a final score of 72-50.

Derek Dravis

Derek Dravis

Derek Dravis

Barry Allen, Sports Reporter

Senior Mason Domask came from a small town in Wisconsin, growing up playing almost every sport there is. Now he attends Winona State University and has become a key player for the basketball team, shooting over 40 percent from three-point-range this year. The exercise science major had multiple division II scholarship offers coming out of high school, but chose Winona State for a few reasons.

Growing up in a small town and playing all sorts of sports made Domask into the basketball player he is today.

“I am from the small town of Waupun, Wisconsin. We are mainly known for our famous statues around town as well as our three prisons,” Domask said. “Up until I came to Winona State, I have lived my entire life in Waupun and have enjoyed every bit of it. I was also involved in many sports growing up. I played basketball, football, baseball, soccer, and just about any other sport that kept my friends and I busy. Once I reached high school, the only two sports I played were basketball and golf, before switching to basketball and track and field for my senior year.”

Even though he had other options than Winona State coming out of high school, Domask chose Winona because it was close to family and friends from his hometown.

“My cousin Zach Malvik was a former player and current assistant coach here during my recruitment, so I was very familiar with Winona State and also had good connections here,” Domask said. “I had several other Division 2 options to play basketball, but Winona was the closest to my hometown, which was very important to me so that my friends and family could have easier access to watch me play.”

The Winona State men’s basketball Team is currently on a four-game winning streak, undefeated at home and are 1-0 in the NSIC. As far as goals, Domask is keeping his expectations high.

“As a team our goal is to finish 1st in the NSIC regular season standings, as well as making an appearance in the national tournament,” Domask said. “Personally, my only goal is to contribute to our team winning in every way that I can as much as I can.”

The senior is in his last year playing for the Warriors, and believes the teams time away from the court may prove vital to their success.

“We stay very busy during the offseason,” Domask said. “During our preseason (when we get to campus for the school year until our first official practice) we have lifting four days a week, conditioning four days a week and individual skill workouts three days a week. During our postseason, when our season is done until we leave Winona for the summer, we have lifting four days a week and individual skill workouts four days a week. During the summer our coaches expect us to be accountable for ourselves. We need to get in the gym and weight room on our own and apply whatever it is that our coaches believe we need to work on.”

About the Photographer
Derek Dravis, Photographer

Derek Dravis works as a photographer for the Winonan. Before working at the Winonan, Dravis worked as a photographer for his high school athletic teams....