Basketball’s four-game win streak ends in St. Cloud

Christopher Edwards, Sports Reporter

The Winona State University men’s basketball team split their two road games over the weekend.

The teams started with a 65-53 victory over the University of Minnesota-Duluth Friday, Feb. 1, but they would end the weekend with an 85-70 loss against St. Cloud State University Saturday, Feb. 2, bringing a close to their four-game winning streak.

The game against the University of Minnesota-Duluth started competitive, with both teams trading baskets. With 13:24 left in the first half the Warriors were up by two before they went on a 18-4 run. The Bulldogs would respond by scoring seven straight points to end the half down 32-23.

The keys for the Warriors in the first half were the three-pointers, where they shot seven for 16 and forced seven turnovers. The team also halted the Bulldogs to only one of 12.

Sophomore guard/forward Kevion Taylor led the Warriors in rebounds at half with three. He also hit three-of-four shots behind the arc to lead the team in points with 11.

In the second half, Winona State would look to improve on what they did in the first.  After, junior guard Caleb Wagner hit a layup to put the Warriors up 11 early in the half. The lead would get to as high as 18, as they would cruise to the 65-53 win.

In the second game of the weekend road trip, Winona State would go up against St. Cloud State. The Warriors were in for a tough battle to defend their four-game win streak against the Huskies who held a 16-6 record coming into the matchup.

Early out both teams seemed to be evenly matched, each holding leads throughout the first half. The half was so back and forth that the largest lead by either team was six points. With 1:48 remaining in the first half, the Huskies held a 32-29 lead, before Taylor would hit a two-point and a three-point jumper to take a 34-32 lead. However, the Huskies would beat the buzzer and tie the game at 34 to end the half.

Both teams were able to shoot 50 percent from the field. The Huskies were also able to hit four of seven from beyond the arc, while the Warriors were only able to hit three of 11 from downtown. The Warriors were able to keep pace by getting points off turnovers. Wagner led the Warriors at half with 10 points.

Winona State would come out slow in the second half, allowing the Huskies to go on a 11-2 run. The Warriors were able to respond by going on an 8-0 run later in the half to cut the lead to two. Though the team wouldn’t take back the lead, as the Huskies would go on another run to extend the lead back to double-digits. It would stay in the double-digits for the rest of game the final score would be 85-70.

The Warriors will look to rebound as they return home in their next contest to face Minot State University on Friday, Feb. 8.

About the Writer
Christopher Edwards, Sports Reporter

Christopher Edwards covers football for the Winonan. He is a Junior with a major in journalism. This is Edwards' first year at Winona, as he recently transferred...