Track takes home first-place at Ashton May Invite

Barry Allen, Sports Reporter

Winona State University’s Track and Field team dominated their competition at the Ashton May Invite in Lacrosse, Wisconsin on Saturday, April 6.

The Warrior women placed first overall out of 10 schools in their second outdoor meet of the year, finishing with a total of 223 points while the runners up finished with 104. Multiple Warrior athletes had great individual success, including freshman runner Shereen Vallabouy.

Vallabouy’s indoor campaign was a success, which continued at the Ashton May Invite by taking home two first place medals, one in the 100m dash (11.89 seconds) and the other in the 200m dash (24.28 seconds).

Vallabouy talked about her preparation process for meets and events.

“I’ll normally glance through my running videos that I have recorded earlier, this mentally refreshes me to focus on my running rhythm especially the 400s,” Vallabouy said.

Vallabouy was not the only successful Warrior in the running events though. Winona State claimed the top four spots in the 100m dash with Vallabouy, Pietz (11.98 seconds), Schyvinck (12.17 seconds) and Pryor (12.18 seconds) finishing one through four respectively.

Winona State swept the top three spots in the 200m dash with senior Brittany Schyvinck (24.54 seconds) and first-year Brooklyn Schyvinck (24.99 seconds) finishing right behind Vallabouy.

Two Warriors placed in the 400m dash as Brittany Schyvinck finished first overall with a time of 56.33 seconds. Junior Johanna Patterson was not far behind with a time of 59.02 seconds, landing her 5th overall. Another four Warriors finished in the top seven of the 800m dash with senior Allison Johnson (2:14.637) taking the top spot out of more than 25 participants. First-year Julia Silloway (2:17.971) finished third while junior Aimee Holland (2:20.167) and first-year Brittany Quiring (2:20.887) placed 5th and 7th.

Junior Anna Rogahn and senior Nicki Staffen both placed top three in the 1500m race. Rogahn claimed the top spot with a time of 4:41.151 and Staffen took third with a time of 4:43.787. Success continued in the distance races for Winona State as sophomore Becca Richtman took second overall in the 5000m race out of 13 runners. She finished with a time of 18:58.80 and not far behind her was first-year Allison Hendrickson who ran a time of 19:11.72, giving her third overall.

The 4×100 meter relay team of Tucker, Schyvinck, Pietz and Vallabouy kept rolling with another first-place finish and a time of 47.06 seconds.

The field events saw a lot of great finishes for Winona State as junior Taylor Juresh finished in the top spot for the long jump with a distance of 5.42 meters. Another first-place finish was claimed by the Warriors as sophomore Kristi Springer won the triple jump competition with a distance of 11.68 meters.

With the success the Warriors had this season, both indoor and outdoor, the Winonan caught up with senior jumper Emma Severson and asked her if she has any favorite moments from this year so far.

“I do not have one specific moment that is my favorite this year, I really am just taking it all in since this is my last year with this team,” Severson said. “I have really enjoyed the smaller, non-competition moments with girls who I have gotten very close with both recently and over the years.”

The Warrior women return to action on Saturday, April 13 at the Minnesota Open, which will be hosted by the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis.