Relay for Life: a story in photos

Mohammed Islam

Winona State University hosted their annual Relay for Life event on Friday, April 12 in the McCown Gymnasium. The event raised over $32,500 for the American Cancer Society. The event featured a memorial walk in memory of people who have died of cancer, various events and dozens of clubs raising money for the cause.

Mohammed Islam, Photo Editor

Mohammed Islam
Members of Winona State’s Clinical Exercise Science Club Michael Scholl, Tanner Lange, Miranda Reichert and Ffyon Hund won the mummy wrap contest at Relay for Life in McCown Gymnasium on Friday, April 15.

Mohammed Islam
Left to right: Joyce Camer, Mary Schmoker and Diane Passehl attend Relay for Life Friday, April 15. Camer, Schmoker and Passehl run a support group called Ribbon Warriors for survivors like themselves and those currently fighting. The group meets the third Wednesday of every month and hosts a potluck dinner. They welcome everyone struggling with cancer to join their support group and talk freely.

Natalie Tyler
Winona state student watched the lumiere awards at Relay for Life honoring cancer deaths. First-year Megan Grant looks at the screening that highlighted pictures of people that died of cancer. Everyone was quiet, honoring the loved ones that were gone. The event raised over $32,000.

Mohammed Islam
Students, faculty, volunteers and community members join in the memorial walk around McCown Gymnasium during Relay for Life on Friday, April 12. The six hour event raised over $32,000.

Natalie Tyler
Winona state student Clara Palm shaves Willy Stetter’s head to support cancer by the Sigma Tau Gamma table at this year’s Relay for Life. The event honored people that have died of cancer and anyone was welcomed to attend. By the end $32,540.14 was raised.

Natalie Tyler
D.J. Tony (Becker) Lee smiled at Winona state students at this year’s Relay for Life. Relay is a family-friendly event that raises money for the American Cancer Society, and honors survivors and those who died.

Natalie Tyler
The Winona community holds up light from phones to honor people who died from cancer during the lumiere awards at Relay for Life this past Friday night. The event had games and food, and anyone was welcomed to attend.