Baseball falls short in UMary Series

Baseball falls short in UMary Series

Maurice Hudson, Sports Reporter

Winona State University’s baseball team went winless in a doubleheader against University of Mary on Tuesday, April 9 in Bismarck, North Dakota.

In the first game of the doubleheader, Winona State and University of Mary traded runs in the first inning.

Junior outfielder Chad Herbst reached on a fielding error by a University of Mary shortstop, which advanced sophomore pitcher Austin Savary to second, junior first basemen Sam Kohnle advanced to third and brought in sophomore infielder Zac Stange to score an unearned run in the first.

In the third inning, University of Mary scored two runs by a double down the right field line.

The rest of the game proved to be a standstill throughout the innings, ending with a final of 1-3 and University of Mary taking the first game.

In the second game, University of Mary jumped out of the gate in the bottom of the first inning.

The Warriors struck back at the Marauders with junior outfielder Andrew Pliner coming home on a hit-by-pitch at the beginning of the third inning to even up the score.

In the fifth inning, junior shortstop Derek Martin tripled, bringing Tanner Williams in for an unearned score.

University of Mary responded back with an unearned score, bringing the score to 2-2.

In the bottom of the ninth, sophomore pitcher Nicolas Herold’s scoreless streak of 14.2 innings ended with a game-finishing run for University of Mary.

The Warriors committed three errors in the second game Tuesday, adding to their total of 12 over the last six outings.

Winona State falls to 15-14 (8-9 NSIC) while University of Mary improves to 11-18 (8-12 NSIC) on the year.

Winona State baseball will go on the road to begin a two-day series against Augustana University beginning on Friday, April 19. First pitch is slated for 6 p.m. Friday and 2 p.m. Saturday.