Golf captures 14th NSIC Championship

Mitchell Breuer, Sports Editor

Winona State University’s men’s golf team are champions again.

The team placed first after the three-day NSIC Championship event that steamed from Thursday, April 18 through Saturday, April 20.

The Warriors also showed muscle in the individual player standings, with four of their players holding the top-five placings at the end of the event.

Leading the way was senior Ben Jasper who took home the spot of the weekend with a total score of 214.

Jasper proved constant to be fixture at the top of the leaderboard, tying for second in the first round after carding 72, before taking the lead in the second round after carding 73.

The senior ended the event with best round yet, carding a 69 to secure himself a first-place finish.

Jasper was followed by fellow senior Michael Schmitz, who finished the outing in a tie for second place with a total score of 218.

Schmitz, who entered the weekend having just being named the NSIC Men’s Golfer of the Week for a third time this season, continued to impress throughout the NSIC Championship. On Saturday, he would post the tie best round by anyone throughout the event, carding a 66 in the third round.

While the seniors took the top placings, the Warriors did also see some promise with their younger players, with sophomore Brady Madsen finishing in the fourth, making him the highest finishing sophomore of the event.

Madsen proved to be consistent throughout the three rounds, carding a 72, 77, and a 70 throughout the event. His consistency allowed him to stay inside the top-10 throughout the event’s entire duration.

Rounding out the top-five was Winona State junior Tyler Beeck, who improved from a 14th place finish in the team’s previous event, the NSIC Preview Invitational.

Like Madsen, Beeck showed a consistency, especially with his scores, carding a 74 in the first round before finishing with 73 in both the second and third rounds.

Finishing out the five-man team for the Warriors was junior, Bentley Glass, who finishing in a three-way tie for 33rd out of 50 participants. Glass showed significant improvement in the third round, as after an 81, and an 83 in the first two rounds, he wrapped up the event carding a 72.

In total, the Warriors scored 870 (+18 par) to secure first place, and finished the event with a sweep, as they led in team points throughout all three rounds.

Concordia University, St. Paul finished second with a score of 896 (+44 par), with Bemidji State University in third at 901 (+49 par).

The NSIC Championship is the 14th for Winona State, and a first for head coach, Jeff Straight, who was promoted to the position in 2015.

Though the championship has been won, there is still work to be done for the team, who are now qualified for the NCAA DII Super Regional, which will take place May 9-11 in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

If the Warriors are able to continue their hot streak of success, their season will continue to be extended with action in the NCAA Championship, which will take place on May 21-25 in Daniels, West Virginia.

About the Writer
Mitchell Breuer, Sports Editor

Mitchell Breuer works as the Sports Editor for the Winonan, in addition to occasionally covering a variety of sports for the paper.

Breuer is currently...