Baseball slides to 17-18 record

Maurice Hudson, Sports Reporter

Winona State University’s baseball team looked to increase their overall record with a twinbill on Tuesday, April 16 against Wayne State College and a weekend series against Augustana University.

The first game, Winona State took the win over Wayne State 5-1, thanks to four runs in the bottom of the third. Starting this was sophomore infielder Tanner Williams on a fielder’s choice RBI that brought sophomore infielder Zac Stange in.

In the second game of the doubleheader, Winona State went scoreless off of three hits on 21 total at bats, losing 10-0 and splitting the twinbill with Wayne State.

In the weekend series, Winona State faced Augustana University in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

In the first game of the series Augustana University took the win 2-4 with a third inning bounce back.

Sophomore pitcher Austin Savary grounded out and brought in junior first baseman Sam Kohnle and junior outfielder Chad Herbst scored off of a sacrificed fly by junior Andrew Pliner making the score 2-0 in the top of the secnd inning.

Augustana University rallied back in the bottom of the third to give them a 4-2 lead over Winona, enough to clinch the win.

In the second outing of the series, the game went in a similar fashion, Augustana jumped out of the gate, scoring four runs in the bottom of the second inning and one run in the third, fourth and fifth inning making the score 7-0.

Winona State tried to come back by scoring five runs in the seventh inning but ultimately, it was not enough.

Putting insult to injury, Augustana University tallied three runs in eighth inning to bring the final score to 10-5.

The third game within the series proved to be a high paced, high scoring affair.

Augustana broke out of the gate in the first two innings establishing a 5-0 lead .

The Warriors scored three runs in the top of the third thanks to a Stange single up the middle, which brought in junior catcher Nick Nalewanski.

A Martin double to right field sent first-year outfielder Mitchell Seager home, and Stange scored off of a wild pitch.

Augustana responded back with four runs in the bottom of the third.

Winona State tallied eight more runs in the game but it was no match for Augustana’s 16 total runs to cap off the game 11-16.

Augustana pulled off 20 hits compared to Winona State’s 15, to end off the game.

The final game in the weekend series, Winona State prevented Augustana from completing a series sweep.

Winona State left the series finale with 10 runs over Augustana’s seven.

Kohnle scored off of a Pliner groundout, and a handful of errors that helped bring in Seager and Williams to give Winona the first win in a brief drought.

Despite the baseball blues Winona State faced, the Warriors look towards playing Upper Iowa University Wednesday April 24 at 1:30 P.M. and 3:30 P.M.  in Fayette, Iowa.

About the Writer
Maurice Hudson, Sports Reporter

Maurice Hudson is a sports reporter for the Winonan.

He is a junior with a major in journalism.

Hudson is from Rogers, Minnesota.

He has worked...