Williams talks football goals

Williams talks football goals

Buck Wallert, Sports Reporter

With a new football season on the horizon, sophomore wide receiver Darryl Williams talked about his goals for the upcoming season, the team’s receiving core and his journey to Winona State.

So, what brought Williams to Winona State?

There were other offers on the table, but Williams chose Winona State because of the campus and direction head coach Tom Sawyer and the rest of the coaching staff were taking the program.

After all, with a record of 182-81 at Winona, and a record of 26-8 over the last 3 seasons, Sawyer’s numbers speak for themselves when recruiting his players and building a winning team.

In his first year with the team, Williams managed to established himself with the group, with 106 yards and one touchdown despite only appearing in six games.

Heading into his second year, Williams talks about his goals were coming into the season.

“I just want to help the team and offense as much as I can this year,” Williams said. “Our team goal is take it game by game, but we do want to compete for a conference championship, playoff spot, and a national championship.”

Last season the Warriors fell short of expectations after a shocking loss to Upper Iowa that kind of left a bad taste in their mouth for the rest of the season, and ultimately cost them a spot in the playoffs, after making the postseason the year prior.

Despite the disappointing season for the team, Williams said his first with the unit proved to be a great experience and helped him grow.

He also said he is now “more comfortable with the offense and [his] assignments.”

The comfort he developed last year may be important heading in to the 2019 season, as the offseason provided quite the change to the roster, especially to the receivers.

Isaiah Frandsen, who was the Warriors lead receiver, graduated leaving an opening in the offense.

Despite this, Williams believes that this will be a good year for the young group looking to fill the gap.

“Our receiving core is looking very solid this year [and] with Isaiah being gone it is going to give us a few more opportunities to make plays and, I think we are ready,” Williams said.

So, outside of football, what else is Williams interested in?

He says that he is passionate for sports, expands football and loves helping younger athletes.

He claims he doe not have any hidden talents, but as far as weaknesses, Williams said if you need someone to draw something, you should call someone else.

Williams and the rest of the team will take the field for their first game of the season this Saturday, Sept. 7 when they take on Wayne State College at 1 p.m.