Player Profile – Roebuck reflects

Shannon Galliart

Senior Running Back Javian Roebuck (#32) posed for photos Friday, September 6th before the big game tomorrow, September 7th, against Wayne State College.

Christopher Edwards, Sports Reporter

In his final season at Winona State University, senior running back Javian Roebuck is eyeing a national championship.

Roebuck, who is from Phoenix, Arizona, took a very different path than most Warriors.

On the difference between Minnesota and Arizona, Roebuck noted the weather.

“They’re two different places, man it’s hot all year round in Arizona and for the winters here are really cold and brutal, you know,” Roebuck said.

He first got in to football at six years old, but he didn’t get really serious about football until his sophomore year of high school.

Those are the days he said he looks back on fondly, including a night as a senior getting ready to graduate, where he went off in a rivalry game, tallying four touchdowns and over 200 yards rushing.

It is safe to say Roebuck carried that success to Winona State, as he currently leads the team in career-rushing yards and touchdowns.

“I had a really good first year, I won an all-conference award and offensive M.V.P. for Winona State,” Roebuck said.

Fast forward to his final season in Winona and now, he is taking the games week-by-week but ultimately still starving for the ultimate goal.

“The end goal is to win the national championship and that’s what we’re working for,” Roebuck said.

As far as what he could better this season, Roebuck, is hoping to just stay healthy and avoid the “nagging” injuries that the sport can bring to a player.

This past weekend in the season opener against Wayne State College, the senior rushed eight times for 42 yards and he added one catch for 18 yards in the 37-20 victory.

Outside of football, Roebuck is majoring in criminal justice and in the future, he wants to be a probation officer for juveniles.