Volleyball stays hot on the road

Volleyball stays hot on the road

Jenna Statz, Sports Reporter

Winona State University’s volleyball team finished a perfect road trip with two conference wins.

On Friday, Oct. 4, it was a battle each set for the Warriors, who swept No. 19 University of Sioux Falls on their home court in three straight sets.

The Warriors and Cougars went to extra points twice with Winona State taking the match by scores of 28-26, 25-17, and 28-26.

Saturday, Oct. 5, less than 24 hours later, the Warriors had yet another tough match against No. 8 Southwest Minnesota State University, but again swept the Mustangs in three straight sets.

Winona State defeated SMSU by scores of 25-21, 25-20, and 25-23.

The Warrior volleyball team is now just one win shy from last year’s total of 13 overall wins, improving to 12-2 overall and 4-2 in the NSIC.

“A win on the road to ranked teams was huge for our team,” head coach Joe Getzin said.

Getzin is not letting the early success get to him yet, though.

“It’s a long season, I like the spot we are in. There’s still a lot of work ahead, and we need to keep building as a team,” Getzin said.

Leading the way for the Warriors this weekend between both wins was junior Megan Flom and sophomore Madison Rizner with 28 and 19 kills, respectively.

Junior Bre Maloney was also on her game, assisting her teammates 74 times over both matches.

Defensively for the Warriors, Flom shut things down with nine blocks, and junior Becca Pagel was all over the court with 26 digs.

When talking about the keys this weekend for the Warriors against two ranked teams Getzin said that “this weekend the bench brought the energy every set,” and that was “huge” for the team’s success.

After spending their weekend on the road, the Warriors will return to play on their home court this weekend taking on Wayne State College and Augustana University.

“They are very good opponents, it will be important for us to execute on our side of the court” Getzin said.

The Warriors will take the court again Friday, Oct. 11 at 7 p.m., and Saturday, Oct. 12 starting at 5 p.m.