Volleyball falls to Northern State

Jenna Statz, Sports Reporter

The No. 20 Winona State University’s Women’s Volleyball Team finished their weekend road trip with a split.

After a win over No. 5 Concordia University, St. Paul on Tuesday, Oct. 15, Winona State was unable to take down another top-10 team on Friday, Oct. 18, as the Warriors traveled to No. 6 Northern State University and were swept in three straight matches.

The Wolves defeated the Warriors by scores of 23-25, 19-25 and 19-25.

However, Saturday afternoon was a different story as the Warriors flipped the switch and defeated Minnesota State University Moorhead with a three straight set victory over the Dragons.

The Warriors completed their perfect sweep by set scores of 25-16, 25-11, and 25-16.

After this weekend the Warriors have surpassed their last year’s record of 13 overall wins, improving to 15-4 overall and 7-4 in the NSIC.

Leading the way for the Warriors this weekend was junior Megan Flom who achieved double digits in kills for the ninth time in consecutive matches and sophomore Madison Rizner with 27 and 14 kills respectively over both games.

Junior Bre Maloney helped by successfully assisting her teammates 67 times over both matches.

On the defensive side of things this weekend for the Warriors, sophomore Megan Flom shut things down with seven blocks, and junior Becca Pagel helped her teammates out recording 22 digs.

Looking forward at the Warriors upcoming schedule, the team will be returning to their home court this weekend taking on University of St. Mary on Friday, Oct. 25 at 6 p.m. and Minot State University Oct. 26 at 11 a.m.