WAGS department celebrates 20 years at WSU

Tamara Berg, a professor in the women’s and gender studies department, enjoyed the 20th anniversary celebration of the department. Below, Berg’s door is a testament to her commitment to her work.
Elisenda XifraReverter/Winonan

Karin Chandler/Winonan

Winona State University’s women’s and gender studies department presented a panel discussion to celebrate its twentieth anniversary Oct. 29. Audience members could participate and share their experiences, as well.

The panel consisted of members from the American Association of University Women. Each panelist had a connection to Winona State.

A professor in the women’s and gender studies department, Tamara Berg, said, “The panelists all have connections—whether they’ve worked, had a partnership, or part of the community, they have some sort of connection to the university.”

The panelists each shared a story.

The first panelist to speak, Ann Kohner, talked about her life experiences, and said the best thing she learned was to “not be so hard on myself.”

She said, “It’s interesting that so many people searching for happiness can never find it.” Kohner She then asked the audience, “Can you really have it all?”

Kathy Sullivan, another panelist, has worked at Winona State’s library and is a science fiction writer. She read a quote about success and encouraged the audience to face their challenges.

“What holds your interests? What’s your back-up plan?” Sullivan asked.

Pat Nolan, a panelist, urged audience members to invest in friendships.

“You have to believe in yourself,” she said. “Have challenges, and find good role models.”

To sum up her story and her excerpt, Nolan asked the audience, “Where do you find strength in adversity?” Several audience members said they found strength in nature, family, friends and music.

Robin Richardson, a professor in the biology department at Winona State and a panelist, said her stories revolve around education. One reason why Richardson enjoys being a biology teacher is because of mystery.

“The questions I enjoy the most can’t be answered. I like mystery. How do you encounter mystery?” She said.

An audience member said, “We have to look at our own mortality and that’s a mystery.”

Helen Kowalski, a panelist, talked about how females view themselves at different ages.

“Why is it that we have to wait until we’re so old to have fun?” she asked.

Kowalski is a mathematician, a career traditionally dominated by males. “There’s so much prejudice,” she said. “We’ve made a lot of progress, but I worry it will come back again.”

One audience member talked about how she liked to hunt for coons, but it’s a men’s sport. She said this activity gives her “the satisfaction of overcoming stereotypes.”

Other panelists, Maggie Lambert and Margaret Kiihne, discussed the often-treacherous road to awakening one’s passion and happiness in life.

Kiihne said, “There are more examples of stumbling than planning happiness.”

Berg was satisfied with the celebration.

“I thought it was excellent. It was exciting to see a mix of audience members; we had community members, students, alumni, and faculty. The panel was wonderful in the way they told their stories. They also engaged the audience with good questions,” she said.

Next semester, the women’s and gender studies department will be hosting an event every month in celebration of their anniversary.

Contact Karin at [email protected]