Mens Basketball upset at tournament

Christopher Edwards, Sports Reporter

The Winona State men’s basketball team played in the Central Region Challenge this past weekend in hopes of jumpstarting the season.

Coming off of an exhibition win against Saint Mary’s University, the team was going into this weekend with a confident demeanor.

Senior Caleb Wagner said the team needed to keep the winning mindset.

“Now we just need to keep the flow going and just keep playing well,” Wagner said.

With the first game played on Friday, Nov. 8, the Warriors lost to No. 10 Missouri Southern State University 71-50.

The Warriors shot under 30% from the field and went 9-39 from downtown, which is low compared to last season when they shot more than 44% from the field and downtown.

During the first half, Winona State scored 16 points while Missouri Southern scored 27.

With the Warriors working their way to a single digit deficit coming off a 7-22 three-point production in the second half, it was not enough for Missouri Sothern’s 15-3 run to bring the game lead back into the double-digits and win.

Wagner put up 10 points and six rebounds in the matches.

Junior Kevion Taylor, sophomore Alec Rosner and junior Keiron Goodwin all put up eight points during the loss.

The second game of the Central Region Challenge was against Washburn University this last Saturday.

Washburn came out of the gates early chalking up a 21-4 lead, but the Warriors went eight for 12 to push them back into the game.

Erasing a 17-point deficit early to bring it a one-point Warrior lead (30-29) at half, the game was looking in the favor of Winona State.

However, in the second half, Washburn outscored Winona State 38-24, bring the score to 67-54 and handing the Warriors their second loss of the weekend.

Junior Dalante Peyton said the team needs to use these loses to bounce back for the upcoming game with Clarke University.

The Warriors return to McCown Gymnasium for a four-game home stand beginning on Wednesday, Nov. 13 against Clarke University at 7 p.m.