Track and field see early season success at St. Mary’s

Austin Wallert, Sports Reporter

Winona State University’s women’s track and field team burst out the gates and never looked back as they resumed their season at the Saint Mary’s Early Birdinal Invite.

The Saturday afternoon indoor meet saw ten Warriors finish in first place.

Among those place in first was senior Aimee Holland, who competed in the 880m dash.

Holland said the meet Saturday really served as a reflection of the team’s progress during the early weeks of the season.

“This meet allowed us to see where we are as a team now, and how much growth we can accomplish as our indoor season starts to pick up,” Holland said.  “All in all, it was a great day to be a Warrior and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for us.”

When asked about the team goals for the season, Holland immediately went to team chemistry.

“[We] support each other by really getting to know each other’s events,” Holland said. “Another goal we have is to continue to keep that positive energy on and off the track. When you are with a group of people who love what they do, it makes it you be a better athlete.”

Holland stressed that being a track athlete tests runners both mentally and physically.

“Being a track athlete goes beyond the two plus hours we spend with our coaches each day; being an athlete accounts for what we do outside those hours-meaning, properly treating our bodies with enough sleep and eating right, while also being a successful college student,” Holland said. “With that being said, our practice times tend to be scattered throughout the day as our coaches try to find times that will work for all us. It’s quite the balancing act to say the least, however with communication, we are able to make it work.”

Holland wants non-athletes to know just how much outside practice and training it takes to be successful.

“Along with classes and practices that fill up our week, some of us go to the athletic training room where we are taken care of by our trainer the athletic training students,” Holland said. “Being a track athlete is a commitment that’s not taken lightly and yes, there are days where it can be a lot. However, the people that makes this team make the crazy days all worth it.”

Based on their recent wins, the practice each athlete completes seems to be worth the effort.

The first-place finishers from Saturday include sophomore Maddy Pietz, 55m dash; sophomore Brooklyn Schyvinck, 200m; junior Kalley Harris, 400m; senior Aimee Holland, 880m; senior Anna Rogahn, mile; junior Becca Richtman, 3,000m; first year Xana Leum, 55m hurdles; first year Kaylee Patnode, triple jump; and sophomore Katrina Thoe, weight throw.

The Warriors will hit the races again this Saturday, January 25 at the UW-Stout Open.