Track and field snag five first place titles in away meet

Jenna Statz, Sports Reporter

Winona State University’s track and field team continued its indoor season on Saturday, Jan. 25 at the University of Wisconsin-Stout Open, which saw the Warriors taking home five first-place finishes.

Starting with sophomore Maddy Pietz who ran a 25.79 in the 200m dash, sophomore Brooklyn Schyvinck then added another first-place finish in the 400m dash with a time of 58.02.

Another Warrior that took top prize this weekend was junior Becca Richman, who competed in the one-mile run. She outran her competitors with a time of 5:06.68.

In team competition, Winona State’s 4x400m relay team comprised of sophomores Sarah Mikkelson, Kendall Zeman, and Schyvinck, along with first-year runner Allison Waterman also took first place in their event with the time of 3:58.68.

The team also had an athlete tie for first with sophomore Madison Rinzer on the high jump.

Winona State also saw a pair of second-place results, with sophomore Kyja Griggs on the triple jump event and senior Anna Rogahn in the 3000 meter run.

The Warriors will be back in action next Friday, Jan. 31 and Saturday, Feb. 1 at the Mark Schuck Open & Multi at Minnesota State University in Mankato.

This will mark the first of four weekends that Winona State will make the weekend trip to Mankato, as they will also compete in the Ted Nelson Classic, the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) Preview, and lastly the Maverick Invitational, all of which will take place at the university.

*All opinions expressed are of the Winonan staff. They do not necessarily reflect those of the college, university, system, or student body.*