Gymnastics loses to Titans

Gymnastics loses to Titans

Jenna Statz, Sports Reporter

The Winona State University gymnastics team has improved for the third straight meet on Thursday as they took on University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh.

Although the Warriors have been increasing their scores the last couple of weeks, they still fell to the Titans who recorded a score of 188.55 to the Warriors’ 184.275, which is a new season best for the team.

The Warriors’ collective score of 46.6 on the floor exercise was also a new season high for the team.

Junior Shelsea Zehr was the leader for the Warriors this week as she placed second individually, with a career-best score of 9.6. Along with Zehr’s impressive performance on the floor, senior Kelly Johnston also scored an impressive 9.325, sophomore Hailey Bryant added a 9.3 to the teams score and senior Alana Currin helped with scoring a 9.125.

Johnston led Winona State on the balance beam with a third-place score of 9.5; the All-American has recorded a 9.5 or better in three of the four Warriors’ meets this season. Helping Winona State with their overall beam score was senior Megan Tran, who added a 9.175 and junior Cora Geiger adds a 9.150.

On vault, sophomore Maya Fernado scored a team high of 9.375, senior Kennedy Utz helped with scoring a 9.35 and freshmen Allison Crescimanno scored a 9.275. The three Warriors were the top finishers, while also posting new season highs in the event.

Zehr continued to have a strong night for the Warriors on the uneven bars where she tied for third with her freshman teammate, Maddy Bronson, with a score of 9.3 on the event.

The Warriors will travel to Shreveport, Louisiana to take on Centenary College for their next meet on Sunday, Feb. 9.

The opinions expressed in this paper are not necessarily those of Winona State University, the Minnesota State Colleges and University system, or the Winona State University student body.