Player Profile: Cooper Kapanke

Photo contributed by Cooper Kapanke. Kapanke is a third-year first baseman for the Warriors, originally from Eau Claire, Wis.

Syerah Mulhern-Allred, Sports Editor

Cooper Kapanke is a third-year first baseman from Eau Claire, Wis. who has had quite the start of this season with three home runs already.

To back up a bit, Kapanke went to Eau Claire Memorial high school where he made All-Conference twice, was team captain and a three-year letter winner.

While the All-Star doesn’t have any glamorous trophies from his high school days, he uses that as a motivator.

“I’ve never won the ‘big game’, but we’ve always come close,” Kapanke said, referring to games such as state championships and conference titles. “That’s something that kind of just pushes me every year is you want to get a little better and finally achieve that.”

During his first season of collegiate baseball, the season got cut short while the team was in Florida for their annual games over spring break, due to COVID-19. Before the disappointing end to season one, Kapanke played in four games.

Kapanke had his first collegiate hit against Maryville University during his second season where he averaged a .108 batting average for the year. His other numbers for season two were a 1.0 fielding percentage and 4/4 on stolen base attempts for a relatively successful first full season, with eight starts and 13 appearances.

“This summer I worked my tail off,” Kapanke said. “I played probably 40 or 50 games for my city team and after work every day I’d go workout and hit on my own.”

He explained while seeing his accomplishments in numbers (such as two home runs in a game) is nice, there are other more important goals, in his eyes.

“I want to be that guy that everyone can look up to and come to,” Kapanke said. “Just someone that can be a role model when things get tough, whether we’re winning or losing.”

This year, Kapanke has already made strides toward that goal off the field, as he accomplished NSIC All-Academic Team of Excellence in the 2020-2021 school year, a title given to athletes throughout the conference who achieve a 3.60 GPA or higher.

While maintaining his GPA, Kapanke juggles a marketing major along with three minors: professional selling, investments and finance.

So far this year, the Warriors have only played in the three-game series against Missouri Southern State University but will be facing Drury University for three games this coming weekend.

To start off the series against Missouri Southern State, Kapanke had two at-bats for a run, a hit and a run batted in.

In game two, he had five at bats, two runs, three hits and six runs batted in along with his two homers, which included his first career grand slam. In fielding, Kapanke racked in three putouts in baseball along with one assist.

“It was a good start but obviously we lost three games, so we’re not pleased. Never settle, you can’t get too high or too low, it’s one series,” Kapanke said of the opening games. “I think it just helps as a confidence builder and shows that I can make an impact and have a solid year if I keep working at it.”

While this season has proven to be a great start for Kapanke, there remains the rest of the season with a possible two years left if he chooses to take his “COVID year” that all athletes are being offered, due to missing out on a season due to the pandemic.

Kapanke will be back in action this Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Missouri against Drury University along with the rest of the Winona State baseball team.