Shereen Vallabouy takes first place at Nationals in 400m

Syerah Mulhern-Allred, Sports Editor

At the 2022 NCAA Division II Indoor Track and Field Nationals on March 12, fourth-year student athlete Shereen Vallabouy won the 400m race with a time of 53.79 seconds.

On top of reaching first place nationally for the 400m, Vallabouy also is also part of the 4x400m team that took the school record for indoor and outdoor track in 2019. That team took ninth place on March 12.

The current 4×400 team is the second fastest indoor time in Division II and the fastest time ever on a flat 200m track in Warrior history.

This 4x400m team includes Kendall Zeman, Vallabouy, Maddy Pietz and Brooklyn Schyvinck.

“I think the most important aspect of [working in a team] is the memories you take in and the relationships you build with the team,” Vallabouy said. “It is a memorable experience that not many are able to experience and I would say that I’m blessed to be in this environment surrounded by amazing people.”

The fourth-year sprinter from Malaysia came one year after a family friend told her about Winona State. Even over Zoom, Coach Rebarchek made her feel at home, Vallabouy said.

“Along my way in college, I made quality relationships with the community and felt welcomed by the WSU Track and Field team,” Vallabouy said.

Along with setting records and winning races, Vallabouy has been honored in other ways as well. During her first season back in 2019, she was Indoor All-Conference for both the 400m and the 4x400m and Indoor Second Team All-American for the 400m, as well as USTFCCA Outdoor All-Region for the 4x400m.

Sadly, the second season of Vallabouy’s career got cut due to COVID-19 but she managed to come back with a bang in 2021, earning Outdoor All-NSIC First Team for the 400m and NCAA All-American Outdoor for the 4x400m.

“I am determined to give my best in every race that I compete, and the hours put in for practice, it’s nothing different for Nationals and the outdoor season,” Vallabouy said of her goals for the rest of the year. “I hope on keeping up this momentum and improving on being the best version of myself every day.”

This determination is what has led Vallabouy to so much accomplishment in her career so far, but she gives all credit to those who pushed her to get to where she is now.

“My teammates have given me the sense of community and cheered me along the way; my coaches for believing in my potentials and supporting me in and out of my athletics career; and of course my professors for keeping me on track on my education goals for a balanced lifestyle,” Vallabouy said.

The whole team has been very successful in the past few years, so it will be exciting to see where the outdoor season takes them this year as the team is ranked to finish fourth.

Among other notable track athletes is second-year student athlete Lindsay Cunningham, who was named NSIC preseason track athlete of the year and holds the all-time best Warrior mark in the 3000m and the 500m.

The outdoor track and field sea- son begins this Saturday, April 2 at Wartburg College in Iowa for the Outdoor Select.