Soccer celebrates seniors at Sunday’s game

Contributed by: Darrell Harmon

Riley Harmon and Jadia Wiege celebrating. Both Harmon and Wiege shared a goal each in Winona State’s 3-0 win over Minnesota State University – Moorhead on Oct. 14.

Syerah Mulhern-Allred, Sports Editor

The Winona State soccer team moved their record to 7-4-4 after a successful weekend against Minnesota State University Moorhead and Northern State University. 

Sunday night’s game was senior night, where Yanel Ortiz, Sydney Raber, Riley Harmon, Katie Timmons, Jaida Wiege, Emily DeVivo, Ella Roberts, Bailey Deininger, Ellie Wardell and Ashley Hewitt were honored. 

Friday night’s game was a complete shutout with a final score of 3-0. The game started nine minutes in when Harmon scored a goal past Dragon goalkeeper Quinn Carter. 

Less than ten minutes after Harmon’s goal, Wiege doubled the score with an assist from Grace Seim and Wardell.  

The final goal was scored by second year Chloe Swanson for her seventh win of the season and fifth shutout.  

On top of the offensive leader board for the warriors is both Harmon and Wiege at six and five goals, respectively.  

“I encourage my teammates to play not only for themselves, but for the girls next to them and our families that support us,” Harmon said about how she encourages the team. “I also try to encourage through my actions, if I’m not working my hardest and playing my best it would be wrong of me to expect that from others.” 

This year’s ten seniors have worked tirelessly through COVID-19 and a rough losing season last year before finishing off their final year strong so far.

Ortiz is a goalkeeper from Naperville, Ill. who throughout her career at Winona State has averaged 2,665 minutes in the goal and totaled 151 saves.  

Roberts is a defense/midfielder who also hails from Illinois and has played in 55 games throughout her career, including four goals. 

Wardell is a forward wingback from Midland, Mich. with 12 points throughout her seasons here and 1,895 minutes. She is this year’s student athletic advisory committee representative, earned Presidential Scholar Athlete last year, NSIC All-Academic the last two years, and Dean’s List the past three years.  

Weige is a forward from Coon Rapids, Minn. She has scored 21 points, 50 shots on goal and a whopping 2,538 minutes along with NSIC All-Academic Team the last two years and NSIC All-Conference Honorable Mention in 2019.  

Harmon is a forward/midfielder from Mundelein, Ill. who’s scored 26 points throughout 2210 minutes as a starter on the team and a captain last year. She also earned NSIC All-Academic in the past two years and NSIC All-Academic Team in her freshman year. 

DeVivo is a midfielder who is also from Illinois and has a 71% shot on goal percentage.  

“The bonds created within the team will help make the hard moments easy,” DeVivo said as she reflected on what she has learned as a Warrior. “As an individual you will be put through challenges but being on a team that everyone has your back helps you overcome everything.” 

Raber is a midfielder from Neenah, Wis. who has quite the list of accomplishments throughout her career. These include Dean’s List, Presidential Scholar Athlete, NSIC All-Academic and DII ADA Academic Award.  

Deininger is from Hartland, Wis. and plays defense. She was also a captain last year and has been named WSU Defensive Player-to-Watch in the NSIC preseason poll in the past two years and NSIC All-Academic in 2020 and 2021. She’s played 4,153 minutes in her years here, the most out of anyone. 

Fifth-year Ella Roberts controls the ball against the on-coming defenders. (Contributed by: Darrell Harmon)

“I’ve kind of taken Callie Menzel under my wing,” Deininger said about a player that she has stepped up to mentor. “I have full confidence that she is ready to lead the backline when I graduate.” 

Hewitt is a forward from Cottage Grove, Minn. who earned NSIC All-Academic Team of Excellence in 2021 and Academic Achievement Award in 2020. Hewitt has scored six points in her time here, four of which were this season. 

Timmons is a midfielder from White Bear Lake, Minn. and earned NSIC All-Academic in 2021 and 2020. She’s played 44 games and scored 3 points through 2,948 minutes. 

The game on Sunday brought a good old competitive soccer match with a back-to-back effort from both teams. 

The Northern State Wolves’ Hannah Smith scored on Alyson Jumper with an assist from Megan Fastenau for the first point of the game, but the Warriors were quick to respond a mere minute and 25 seconds later when Captain Reanne Weil took a shot. 

This was Weil’s third goal of the season and the last point of the contest, leading to the team’s fourth tie of the season.

The game saw shots from both ends to get ahead, but neither successfully hit a goal.  

The Warriors play Wayne State College next Friday at 6:30 p.m. for their Homecoming game at Altra Federal Credit Union. They then hit the road again to Augustana University on Sunday at 1 p.m. before they finish up their season the week after against Upper Iowa University.