Winona State Football Team dominates Concordia St. Paul at NSIC Opener

Jiovani Bermudez
After receiving a stray ball, WSU football looks at the rest of his team practice.

The Winona State University football team achieved a landslide win against Concordia University, St. Paul, using their special teams in their first home game of the season. This also marked their first game in the NSIC tournament, and quite an important victory to have.

After the first Warrior Game Day Experience wrapped up and spirits were high, the enthusiasm travelled into the stadium for the kick-off.

This game brought in a mass of supporters, the seats of Altra Federal Credit Union Stadium filled with passionate students, family and community members alike. The support of the city truly embraced the field.

“It was really packed and a lot of people, especially students, were excited to see how the first game would go,” Claudia Johnson, a fourth-year student who attended the game said. “Our football team did not disappoint at all.”

It was at the very beginning of the game that Griffin Wiegel, a redshirt second year from Combined Locks, Wis. managed one of the first touchdowns after intercepting a pass, where, soon after, Jacob Scott would kick a field goal to bring the score up to 7-0.

Scott would go on to kick nine more points before half-time, and combined with excellent plays from his teammates, the score was bumped up to 23-0 with just moments left in the second quarter.

Half-time resulted in a loss of a couple of spectators, but several stayed around to indulge in a typical, all-American football meal and the entertainment that would occur.

After the Winona State Dance Team performed and a playful scrimmage between a young team of boys from the community, the second half kicked back into gear with renewed fervor from the stands.

The third quarter resulted in a bit of a stand-off, but when third year Cair’ron Hendred claimed the end zone, the Warriors moved their score up to 30-0.

Though, Concordia, St. Paul did manage to slip through the cracks of the Warriors defense and earn a touchdown, but Winona State would battle back with a score of their own as Scott managed his fourth successful kick and ultimately left the score of the game at 33-8.

Scott embraced a positive mindset this time around, focusing on performing at his best to be a reliable kicker for himself and his team.

“As a kicker, I can be under a lot of stress at times,” Scott said. “It’s very important to me to stay calm, trust in my snapper and holder to get the ball down for me and do my job by making the kick.”

The Warriors have implemented a mental strength coach this year to help them understand just how important mental health, confidence and positive thoughts can be for the team both on and off the field. It certainly seems as though they harnessed this knowledge to put on an excellent show for their home opener.

Winona State will hit the road next week, making their way to Bemidji State University for their second NSIC game of the season where they will hopefully put another victory notch in their belt.