Brett Favre Takes Winona by Storm

Contributed by The Today Show

Contribute Warriors,” a common phrase heard around Winona State University’s campus, is typically used by students and staff to signify their support before our athletic teams head off to face their opponent. The importance of the phrase lies in its encouraging nature, which was brought to a whole new level when spoken by NFL legend Brett Favre.

Favre is a Miss. Native who began his football career at the University of Southern Mississippi. His NFL career began in 1991 with the Atlanta Falcons. In 1992, he was traded to the Green Bay Packers where he would remain for 16 seasons.

With the Packers, he became the first NFL player to win three consecutive AP MVP awards, while simultaneously leading the team to two Super Bowls.

In 2008, Favre was traded to the New York Jets where he would be selected as the FedEx Air Player of the Week after throwing six touchdowns in one game, achieving his personal best and falling just short of the NFL record.

Finally, in 2009, he signed with the Minnesota Vikings. It was with this team that he would become the first quarterback in NFL history to have defeated every one of the league’s 32 teams.

In 2011, Favre would finally call time on his career, choosing instead to enjoy his retirement, spending his free time traveling around the country to share his wisdom and pride of both football and life to others.

This is why he would end up in Winona on Sept. 9, attending a Warrior Game Day Experience.

Players of the Morrie Miller Youth Tackle Football League who were experiencing the event, as they do annually, were given the chance to chat with Favre and former Packers teammate Gilbert Brown.

“Brett spoke of the importance of setting goals, working hard to achieve goals and the value of friendships gained through activities like sports,” Cindy Donahue, a Morrie Miller Athletic Foundation secretary said. “He thoroughly enjoyed the time with the young players.”

Favre is known for his passionate words regarding the significance of team sports and the importance of children feeling encouraged to chase their dreams. He is also an advocate for safe playing, especially for the most vulnerable generations of children.

While on Warrior ground, a few lucky Winona State students were also able to chat with the famed athlete.

“Life and sports,” one student said. “I’m a student athlete so we were able to talk about how to balance those.”

The excitement that came from Favre’s presence certainly followed the team into the Altra Federal Credit Union Stadium, especially at half time, when the youth team would demonstrate their skills on the field in front of the massive audience.

In the past, the MMAF has featured their fair share of high-profile athletes at their events to further their cause of supporting and sustaining youth athletics in the Winona area, which is what pulled Favre towards Winona originally.

On Sept. 10, he would attend a golf tournament and banquet put together by the foundation.

“The initial tournament was a memorial golf tournament for Morrie Miller who was a Winona native, who excelled in sports, was community minded and dedicated, and who met an untimely death in 1989 as a result of cancer,” Donahue said. “The golf event was joined by a banquet in 2005 with proceeds from both events benefiting youth athletics.”

Favre became another valuable speaker at said banquet, using his experiences of life and his many achievements in his career to leave his mark on Winona soil and touch the minds of children and adults alike.