Winona State Faces an Unfortunate Loss on Homecoming Weekend

Hayley Niewohner
The student section, repping purple and beeming with energy, cheers after a Warrior touchdown.

Winona State University’s football team hit the community hard this past weekend
to celebrate 2023 Homecoming, wrangling a near-capacity crowd of nearly 4,460 consisting of both students and families alike who came to show their support for the Warriors as they faced off against Augustana University.

Just two hours prior to the game, the streets were filled with spirit as the annual parade made their way down Huff Street, leading right into the Warrior Game Day Experience where food trucks, music and other exciting activities to pump up
Warrior fans.

Just an hour before game time, the Warrior Walk also took place to allow the tailgating community members to cheer on the football team, setting the sizzling energy for the afternoon before heading into the Altra Federal Credit Union Stadium.

Once inside, the excitement was palpable from both sides of the field, but purple was prominent, Winona State supporters bringing just the right energy to start the game off strong.

So, when third year Cole Stenstrom and second year Cayden Holcomb came together to score the first Warrior touchdown of the game, the crowd ignited. The first quarter would end with a tight score of 14-10 in favor of Winona State, but unfortunately, the second wouldn’t play out quite as well.

Strenstrom would throw two more touchdown passes, one to third year Kaleb Skelly and another to Holcomb to move to a 28-24 lead, but the Vikings kept the Warriors on their toes, gaining a touchdown of their own just before the end of the quarter. Heading off the field at the half, the score rested at 28-31, but fans remained hopeful.

“Offense is producing but Augustana is answering every time,” Winona State’s 2023 Homecoming King said. “I like shoot-outs though, and Warriors will take the win.”

The student section agreed with their royalty, confident in their team’s ability to bring it back.

Half-time was filled with liveliness starting with an impressive performance from the cheer and dance teams and a couple of quick songs from the pep band to boost morale.

“You know, were doing great. We started off strong, you know,” a member of the Warrior pep band said. “We might not be doing so well right now, but we still got plenty of time to bring it back.”

Winona State also took the time to honor six Hall of Fame alumni; Lee Boettcher, Quincy Herderson, Heather Pierce, Rayon Simmons, John Smith and John Tackmann, all of which have left their marks on Warrior athletics.

Moving into the second half, the Vikings defense took control of the game, seizing the ball through an interception in the opening Warrior play and earning a touchdown of their own. After a special team’s field goal, the third quarter score was moved to 41- 28, a massive lead for Augustana.

In the fourth quarter, the Viking’s domination continued, holding the Warriors at 28 points and racking up a touchdown of their own off another interception, pushing the score to a whopping 48-28, an unfortunate loss for Winona State.

Nonetheless, the community came together to celebrate the excitement that was Homecoming, and despite the loss, spectators left the stadium with an energy that was indicative of Warrior spirit to continue with the festivities of the weekend.

Winona State’s football team, who currently sits at 3-3 in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) will take to the road on Oct. 21 to travel to the University of Sioux Falls for another anticipated match within the conference.